Question of The Day. Saturday 13th of July.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Good morning.

:purr:

What are some horrid food combinations that you've tried?

I accidentally invented a nasty one this afternoon. I'd just eaten a bit of black licorice and I decided to take a swig of orange juice straight after. Nooooooooooo! Don't do that! Those flavours do not go well together!

Another thing I can't stand is curries with raisins or sultanas in them. Or raisins and sultanas in anything except for fruit cake.

Are there any combinations you can't stand?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meat Loaf & Peanut Butter! It was so bad that I puked! I had just read a recipe that sounded good with meat & peanut butter. The only meat in the fridge was meat loaf. Probably would have been good with chicken!

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we were younger, my sister and I once tried to make the grossest combination of foods with a banana as the base. My sister won when she gave me a banana with a bunch of different things from the fridge and honey mustard pretzels stuffed into it. I nearly puked. I've never been a fan of mustard, but for awhile after that incident, I couldn't smell mustard without feeling sick.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The most horrid food I've ever tried had to be a liver sausage sandwich with mustard, ketchup, mayo and pickles. This was when I was a kid and I've never eaten liver sausage again. 😝

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot think of a combination that I have tried that did not work. I am really picky about food, due to allergies and phobias, so I am pretty careful when I combine stuff. Two things that I like that my husband thinks are gross are fake peanut butter (Wow Butter, is my fake peanut butter of choice) and York Peppermint Patties together (or mint chocolate chip ice cream with Wow Butter) and brownies with Cheez-Its.

He thought toast dipped in hot chocolate would be gross. It is not.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm really picky too so I was not the one to try weird mixes even though I had an older brother and you'd think that would be something older brothers would do to their younger sisters. But even among the things my parents made me eat that I would not eat on my own, there's nothing that was out of the ordinary (for me it's more of a texture thing than a taste thing). However, I think parents making me try to mask pork chops in applesauce kinda ruined applesauce for a while.

ON the flipside, there are a couple combos that you wouldn't think are good that are:
M&Ms on cheese pizza (in moderation!)
seaweed sheets and oreos
...I just really like salt and chocolate I guess

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just really like salt and chocolate I guess
A chocolate bar and a pickle! Alternate bites. I haven't done that in ages.

I remember once having something that was severely mis-spiced but I can't remember what it was. Maybe I don't want to remember :tongue: .

Well, I can say this---don't drink orange juice right after brushing your teeth with mint toothpaste! That's BAD.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
What's NOT a great combination is peanut butter, chocolate, and bread
Peanut butter and cucumber slices on toast is pretty good though.
Probably ketchup and mayonnaise together
Over here we get dual sachets of ketchup and mayonnaise so you can squeeze both onto your chips or burger. I'm not a fan.
Cilantro and anything
Funny how people are so divided on cilantro. I've just planted two packets of cilantro seeds so I can use it freshly picked in curries. Or on my peanut butter and cucumber sandwiches
:thumbsup: .
don't drink orange juice right after brushing your teeth with mint toothpaste! That's BAD.
Or miso soup right after brushing your teeth. That's awful!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
My grandfather used to eat very weird food combinations. As a kid, I tried one of his favorites - tuna and peanut butter. Once was more than enough! :barfgreen::barfgreen::barfgreen::nervous::nervous::nervous: I didn't dare try another thing he ate regularly: sardines and peanut butter.

A friend from college got me hooked on a very strange mix, though. Have you ever tried peanut butter and horseradish on crackers?

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm really picky too so I was not the one to try weird mixes even though I had an older brother and you'd think that would be something older brothers would do to their younger sisters. But even among the things my parents made me eat that I would not eat on my own, there's nothing that was out of the ordinary (for me it's more of a texture thing than a taste thing). However, I think parents making me try to mask pork chops in applesauce kinda ruined applesauce for a while.

ON the flipside, there are a couple combos that you wouldn't think are good that are:
M&Ms on cheese pizza (in moderation!)
seaweed sheets and oreos
...I just really like salt and chocolate I guess
You should try the Cheez-Its and brownie combo!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Peanut butter and cucumber slices on toast is pretty good though.
That sounds so weird. I wonder if I would like it?

Over here we get dual sachets of ketchup and mayonnaise so you can squeeze both onto your chips or burger. I'm not a fan.
That sounds like my beloved Thousand Islands dressing!

Have you ever tried peanut butter and horseradish on crackers?
Wow. I love peanut butter, but you guys sure mix some weird stuff with it. I don't know if I could try that without puking. I love both separately though!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Basically anything sweet mixed with savory/salty. For example, don't serve or cook meat with fruit. Do not put a fruit dressing (or fruit in) on my vegetable salad. Brown sugar on various squash dishes....things like that. I can't do it.