Question of The Day. Saturday 10th of September.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I recently learned that I don't know as much about cats as I thought I did. Having recently added number 3 to my gang, the behaviour of the other 2 has not been what I expected. I am daily being surprised and confused. Maybe this is their aim in life.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have learned that there are very realistic looking faux stone panels that don't weigh much at all and are easy to install, and really do look like stone walls.  Keeping this one in mind for behind my electric fireplace,  Amazing what you can do in an apartment when you are really determined!

www.bing.com/search?q=faux stone paneling for walls&pc=cosp&ptag=C1AE89FD93123&form=CONBDF&conlogo=CT3210127

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I learned there are four species of giraffes, not one as previously believed..  As a giraffe lover, I found this fascinating. 

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just finished another History and Archaeological mag so can go on and on like a annoying doofus.

But there was one recent thing I learned that is particularly unique. Maybe I am late to the party and perhaps most of the world is already aware, but I definitely had a "Geez how did I never know this??"

Via books, I read up a lot on the story of Joseph Stalin's children and their long and intensely crazy life history. Grandkids included, who vary based on where they live and careers, their personal beliefs on their ancestor, certain ones who are already dead, the bloodline and emotional legacy etc

And then you have one grandchild of Joseph Stalin, who currently resides in Portland, Oregon, U.S.A:

As a young girl with her mother, Svetlana.

Later on:

Current, at the age of 44 (She is wearing a costume).

A little eccentric, but hey, who wouldn't be with such a background? Aside from who her granddad is she also has an unusual and complex upbringing by itself. Faced difficulties and often unnecessary criticisms too from the media and public. At any rate, she is very pretty, appears to be a decent and quiet person as a whole and looks amazing for someone in their 40's! I wish her well altogether.

Anyway, I just found it mind boggling for a moment! I mean, someone with such an intense connection to one of the most infamous men ever (who, amongst a huge load of other diabolical acts upon his own people and outsiders alike, instigated the invasion of Finland whom my immediate and extended family was directly affected by) was born and raised as an American not too far away! Baffling! 
Living a vastly different life than her cousins and half siblings.