Question of the Day - Monday, October 16, 2023

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It feels very much like fall today! Sunny and comfortable outside but a bit cool inside. I'm enjoying my new hoodie. We haven't had any frost yet; but it's been cool enough that I left one of my plush fleece blankets kind of nested around Mooch on the couch when I went to bed. The kids said she was still in that spot when they got up. :cloud9:

How do you cats let you know they need attention?

Mooch has a few methods but they are fairly similar. When she wants food; she sits in front of her bowl and give me what I call the "Care Bear Glare." (Here's a short clip of the Care Bear Stare I grew up with for reference.)

When she wants snuggles and we're doing schoolwork she will either sit on the couch or on one of her sets of steps and stare until we notice. If that doesn't work she will start meowing until someone eventually goes over to give her some pets or sit on the couch with a blanket so she can sit on their lap. It could be 95 but you better not forget the blanket!!

Her newest one (currently going on) is standing in the hallway and meowing. I think she has noticed it amplifies the sound since we got the new flooring. DD does most of her schoolwork in her bedroom down the hall; so Mooch knows if she heads that way to make a racket she will come out and give her attention if DS and I aren't. And yes DD just came out and is petting her on the couch. :lol: In this case; she literally just ate (still licking her chops) so it's time to be snuggled for a nap. I can't hear what DD is saying to her from here; but Mooch isn't completely happy with the answer. :lol:

My Mom's cats have different methods. Olivia isn't a noise maker. She was 15 or so before I heard her meow. She will carry around one of her "babies" (her little toys) or a crumpled up piece of paper and make "meeps" and chirps until you call for her or give her attention. It's super cute!! Pumpkin is an absolute baby and will follow you around and tap your lap if you are sitting. He would probably be in ecstasy if my mother would get a baby sling to carry him around all day long. :lol:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Ozzy is Mr. Obvious--he will stick his face right in my face: 'I'm HERE!!' :flail:

IMG_0160.JPG

IMG_4152.jpeg

Mowie has her own way. We discovered why her previous human called her Mow-Mow. When she wants attention, she will walk around the house meowing her little head off 'MOW! MOW! MOW!'

Both methods are very effective to get a human's attention around here. :lol:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Charlotte will sit close and stare. She will then start patting me. If I am in bed she will jump up and pat my nose. A couple of times when her claws were in need of a trim I have had a little nick on my nose. She didn't have her claws out they were just too long.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Charlotte will sit close and stare. She will then start patting me. If I am in bed she will jump up and pat my nose. A couple of times when her claws were in need of a trim I have had a little nick on my nose. She didn't have her claws out they were just too long.
I'm not laughing at the nick on your nose, but the patting your nose while you're in bed reminded me of the (I believe very first) episode of Simon's cat, when he's sleeping and his cat is booping his face, pulling his ear, etc. So relatable!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maggie never really asks for anything. But she gets jealous when I'm talking to her grandpa & stands between us. She also likes a taste of whatever we are eating, stands there & licks her lips, but then she doesn't eat it.

Demi will just cry if he wants something, food or pets, or for us to change his water on the bathroom sink. Right now he's crying because he knows his new feral siblings are outside & he wants to play with them. But Maggie would kill them, especially the little one, so I gotta figure this out. Demi's dream come true though! He always wanted a billion siblings! If this works out, he's gonna have 4 more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cat’s growing up would go for rubbing on your nose if you were asleep. She was in need of dental work and her breath alone could wake you up and knock you out again.

She was a polydactyl and would use her thumb to grab stuff like my pen from my hand while I was doing homework on my bed. :lol: Everyone loved her! She was a really cool cat.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of mine are very in-your-face, they don't do subtle. They'll jump onto your lap (Phoebe's favourite options are taking over Mum's lap the minute she finishes eating, sitting on my lap while I'm at the loo, or climbing from there to perch on my shoulders - makes concentrating a trifle difficult). She'll also bounce onto the bed at night to claim a spot on my hips and ribs (I'm a side sleeper). She loves demanding attention from all our visitors - Mum's personal attendants and exercise-physios - for lap time and to make shadows for her to chase. She's got them all well trained. :lol:

Daisy's not much into laps, mainly because her view is that I should always be on the bed so she can curl up next to me or sit on me, whether on my legs if I'm sitting up, or sprawled along my ribs if I'm lying on my side. She'll squawk at me or head-butt me for attention if I'm sitting in the lounge, or if I'm on the bed and she's feeling very snuggly she'll wrap her paws round my arm (this may include some chomps and kicks depending on her mood). She'll often march up and sit on my chest, between the iPad and my face. She'll follow me around the house, especially if I've been out. She's the clingiest cat I've had!

Attachments

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
neely neely Somebody once told me that silent meows are when they want something so badly, they can't vocalize it, so it comes out with no sound.

The girls are insistent. When Molli wants attention, she wants attention and no iPad or iPhone will sway her from her mission.

Pay attention to me!
PATMOne.jpg

I SAID, PUT THAT THING DOWN AND PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!
PATM2.jpg

Muffin is just as insistent. I have a picture of both cats lying on me and disdainfully trying to move the iPad. If I can find, I'll post it.
Tabby is not a lap kitty at all. She loves attention, but she will not jump on a lap.
When it's suppertime, I know. I get that feeling that I'm being watched. Look up and, yep! Three cats staring intently at me. They know it doesn't work on Rick; he'll feed them when he gets around to me. But they know that Mom will give in. Every. Single. Time.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Winchester Winchester Lilith does "the stare" also. When she's not happy with the water in their dishes for whatever reason she will sit next to them and just stare at me. I feel her stare from the desk and know immediately what she wants. I get up and get the fresh water. Then she grumbles because how dare I not read her mind?