Question of the Day - Monday, November 27, 2023

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have spent the afternoon enlarging one barrier for my Christmas tree and putting together a new one for my new foyer tree. Since Mooch can no longer jump; they keep her from chewing on the tree and getting sick. I found really pretty paper that matches the look I’m going for with the new tree; so it should look nice too. I had a brief panic when I finished the new one because I thought I’d attached the last panel upside down. :shocked::fear:I hadn’t.:lol:

Do your cats bother your home decor or holiday decorations?

Growing up we never had to alter much for our cats after they were kittens. When Mooch and Noodles were young I couldn’t keep a big Christmas tree and my curtains ended up with holes from kitten claws. Fortunately after they were a fewyears old they left most things alone; except for chewing on the Christmas tree! I guess that’s irresistible.:rolleyes2:

Noodles was bad about chewing ribbons, tulle and things like that. So I did have to watch things more closely when she was around. Mooch’s chair sits next to where I’m putting the tree so I might have to rearrange for her this year.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No because I don't put any up. Would they if I did? Absolutely. Especially Sophie. Every year I ask DD if I should try and put a tree up. Every year she asks me if I want it destroyed in less than a day. Sophie would treat it like a jungle gym. Lilith might not join in but would definitely encourage her.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Carleton is the most mellow cat we've ever had who doesn't bother most things except when I line up my holiday cards he likes to knock them down. :lol: All the other cats I wouldn't trust with decorations unless they were hung up in a place they couldn't get to.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of mine, being older cats, don’t both anything that is up higher than table height. Willow never even bothered lower things when she was younger. Lola, on the other hand will inspect and sometimes chew or knock over anything she can jump to so I have to keep that in mind when setting things out. I have a raised fireplace surround that I used to be able to set anything on but now unless it’s something really heavy, I only set unbreakable things on this ledge.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we first adopted Toffee and his brother - who is sadly still missing (we assume he's rehomed himself!) - it was around Christmas time so it was fun having two kittens in the house around the festive period - one of the first photos I took of them both was them getting right inside the tree as they were so tiny! Toffee still likes to go after the decorations so we can't have any on the bottom of the tree but he's realised now (after failed attempts!) he's too big to climb inside the tree now.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
My cats have always been pretty well behaved around the decorations with a few minor exceptions. I had to hang unbreakable ornaments at the bottom of the tree, Lily liked to carry off the small stuffed animals I put around the base, and they all liked rearranging the stuffed animals so they could sleep among them, but otherwise they've all been model citizens. Oh, well, Max liked to chew on the ends of the (artificial) branches, but he had a thing for pointy objects. :lol:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh there are times when during a run of zoomies,someone will slide into something and knock it over or send it flying across the roomAs for holiday decor,I don't put any up so that is solved.I used to put up a tree and all...came home from work and found it on the floor,anmd that took care of that!There was very little broken and the things I was most worried about survived.No more chances to have so much fun!

Binxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since taking in my latest stray in July I cannot have anything out. I used to have dried and silk flowers around in vases on tables and some on the wall, no more he, eats them and will even jump to get the ones on the wall. I cannot have any plastic bags anywhere, he will chew on them. 🙄

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every year I expect Flora to knock down the tree, but she hasn't yet in the last 3 years. I will hear clinking glass sounds when I'm in bed and yell, "FLORA!" because I know it's her that is messing with the tree. She stops after that. Remy will eat the needles on my fake tree for a few days after I first put the tree up then usually stops. I've put orange oil on the branches and that has stopped him in the past.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chester liked to climb and sleep in the tree. Bynx would chew on the branches and Lily would "groom" the trunk. When I first got this group I only put my tree up without any ornaments to see what they would do. After that...no more tree. So I have fashioned my own thing so I can still have a "tree" and display all my ornaments. Now they don't mess with it.
1701176516389.png
1701176560196.png

Don't mind the messy living room...

These were taken after my first year with my new tree replacement...I've been working on it since and it's a bit better now.

As for little decorations that sit around like little candles or figurines, they don't mess with any of that.

Bynx however, consistently knocks over all of my cards that I will put on display on my piano. And I have to make sure I don't put anything out with ribbons...he eats them.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats did things like destroy Christmas decorations when they were kittens. Now that they are older not one of the three will even look at them. Heck, they don't even play with their toys much! They lurk around waiting for one of us to sit down so they all 3 can pile up on our laps. It is so funny, they each have an exact spot they want to lay!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't decorate, but the new kittens Harlow and Gracie throw all my stuff on the floor. It's hard because I have really bad OCD and I hate floor germs.