Question of the Day - Monday, May 30, 2022

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Happy belated Memorial Day to all in the US. I started this yesterday sitting in the grocery store parking lot waiting for them to say my order was ready. We scheduled it at the same time as our other car was scheduled to get an oil change to save time. DH is in the middle of a ton of work on our crawl space so he wanted to get home. After sitting there for ages he got out and asked someone (because no one was answering the phone) and found our they were still filling orders from over 2 hours earlier! So we went home. Our stuff was finally ready 5 1/2 hours later. And then we sat there again for over an hour waiting for someone to bring our stuff out. NEVER AGAIN on a holiday!! You could tell they were SO short staffed! I felt awful for them. :disappointed: I only chose that time because I assumed DH would be busy under the house anyway. And I still don't have my car back. It's done; but I need someone to take me to get it. :rolleyes2:

How do you pass the time when you have to wait?

I almost always have my Kindle with me so I can read if I get the chance. I keep one book on my phone that I have read a bunch of times but enjoy. If I have wifi I will sometimes play a game on my phone but that can drain the battery too quickly too. I've bought Crossword/Word Search/Puzzle books for times when I couldn't have a device or before e-readers (like the time I got called for Jury duty). I can usually entertain myself with my imagination just fine if need be too. The benefit of having been an only child for a period in my life. :lol: I don't usually mind waiting; but sometimes it becomes excessive or I've got people waiting on me too so that can make me less patient. Last fall I had to let them know at my doctor appointment that I had to leave by a certain time so my sitter could get to their own appointment. I booked it out of there without even checking out. People in the waiting room were probably looking at me wondering if something was chasing me.:paperbag::lol:

I used to let my kids bring their Kindle Fires for my appointments. These days they usually bring a book or some little thing to entertain themselves too. DS has been known to bring the whole Globe to look at while we get our groceries. :lol: I don't like the idea of using electronics in restaurants or places where you should be engaging with other people; but sometimes they really are lifesavers for parents!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
First activity while waiting is to clean out and organize my purse. It always needs it and is easily a ten or fifteen minute activity.

In the days before smart phones I would also go through the little notebook always I carried with me that had to do lists, things to buy, life goals etc, I could get lost in that for a long time. Now I have my phone so I can usually do online stuff like check emails or read news.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I always have to wait at a particular doctor's office so I know to bring a book or magazine with me. The best part is he likes to ask what I'm reading. :lol:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My power was out for 18 hours yesterday, so I couldn't really do much that I usually do and ended up doing crossword puzzles most of the day. If I'm waiting for an appointment, I will sometimes bring a book or I'll do something on my phone. I also will write down things I need to do later.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would Say that my location Would dictate what I would be doing to pass time. If I'm at the dealer having my car serviced I generally Read the local newspaper or watch TV. Away from home I save my phone for emergencies.