Question of the Day - Monday, May 23, 2022

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's the first Monday of our summer break from school. I'm so torn between trying to catch up on house work and projects in a hurry and just vegetating for a few days. :paperbag: I think I need a plan of action...

How do you schedule your tasks? Do you keep a To-do list? Use a planner?

I usually have a routine of when I do laundry and things like that. It's gotten a bit off the rails the last few months. DS has some trouble staying on task when things don't interest him; so I'm trying to use a timer to help him learn to manage himself better. It might work for me too sometimes. Clean for 20 minutes, break for 5. Sometimes I use task lists but often I just find it better to go with one room at a time. I haven't tried scheduling a day for each room. It's best when I get up and get to it though. Music on can help a lot with long tasks. Now that it's getting hot I like to let the weather help decide when I'm going to do outside things and when I'm going to do my inside projects/chores/etc.

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always try with planners but am absolutely horrible with them. I never last longer than a week with them, even though I need to get back to working with them. I make many to-do lists, but mainly to divide big tasks into smaller steps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always try with planners but am absolutely horrible with them. I never last longer than a week with them,
Planners are great in theory but they don't work well for me with things that need flexibility. I used one a lot at work because I had meetings and classes to schedule. Even with homeschooling they've failed more than helped. I just learned to only plan a week at a time and even that changes a lot. Meanwhile one of my friends has a huge one with all kinds of color coded categories and things and she loves it. It's just not for me. I love setting it up. I don't love keeping it up. :lol:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I schedule appointments in my online calendars (personal and work). They both automatically send me reminders. It's a decent system.
For general items, like remembering to mail something, I'll email myself and don't mark it read until the thing gets done. Works for me!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a retiree, every day is pretty much the same as every other day, so I don't bother with planners. The only thing I plan on is waking up in the morning. From there on I just play it by ear.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a bullet journal with a "tasks" section, and also use a physical calendar, as well as notes on my phone.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a lot of scraps of paper that has to-do lists on them. I try to do them for the weekends so I can actually figure out what I need to get done when I'm off work and don't waste three days off. I've tried using a planner many times, but I never consistently use it. My neurodivergent mind needs something very specific to be beneficial but I haven't figured out what it is that I need. I have a big white board that I thought I would use too, but I haven't in the 18 months I've had it.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since retiring,no more planners of any kind for me!Doctors appointments get sent to my email and they go on my calendar,and everything else just happens whenever it needs to.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I have a weekly planner/calendar. I write everything down on it regarding appointments, bills that have to be paid, meetings w/friends, etc. but not household chores. The chores get done when I have a block of time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In case anyone is wondering…I’m pretty sure I asked this question sometime in the last 6-8 months. Or something similar. It was a long semester. :paperbag:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I seem to remember you asking it. I keep a written list on a small yellow notepad. Most times I’m on top of things but SOMEtimes my brain explodes and just goes: ‘beeeeeeeeep!’ like the white line on an old teevee set. Then I know I’m not supposed to be responsible anymore, until my psyche’s reenergized.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My life is like that old classic Groundhog movie, so there is no need to plan. LOL.

I wake up early, feed and tend to the cats, shower, go to work, come home, tend the cats, sleep, repeat.
If there are appointments they are very seldom.

For bills I get them by email and pay online. Even grocery shopping is usually thru online.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to keep a to do list but now that I am retired it is a “what do I feel like doing today“ list that I consider as I have my morning coffee. But sometimes there is so much that must be done that I resort to a list to keep track of it all and I do use Alexa for reminders as well.