Question of the Day - Monday, June 12, 2023

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’ve mentioned elsewhere that we are getting ready to have our old carpet replaced and doing some repainting at the same time. Well; hopefully BEFORE they install the new flooring. 😉 I’ve currently got this on my living room wall:
D0FE10A8-3024-4F58-9CC6-ACB2209982E3.jpeg

This wall color is staying but I want what I choose for the foyer and hallway to coordinate but lighter. In person the top of column 2 looks closest. And apparently it’s the Valspar Color of the Year. I guess I was +10 years ahead of this trend? :lol: The blue will be going over what is currently green below chair rail in the livingroom.

What kinds of colors do you like in your home?

I definitely seem to go for warm and jewel tones when decorating our house. At Christmas my tree skirt is a deep red. Our kitchen/dining/school space is also this brown with a deep deep purple below the chair rail.
I think I dress in black, gray and blue more; but in the house I choose warm tones. I find them more cozy and soothing than cool tones.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that pic reminds me of when gf was still doing the online classes for her doctorate a wall full of post its and other notes etc. stuck all over the place :lol:the colors in our apartment are darker colors grays mainly matched with graycie's fur color:lol:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have various shades of cement (sort of a tan white color) on most of my house walls. I don’t know if I love it but I have tried gray and pretty much hated it. Other than that the main color is oak, oak and more oak.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Silver Bullet in the bedroom (Valspar)
Light Sage in the computer room (Valspar)
Silver Bullet and Victorian Plum in the bathroom (Valspar)
Light Sage in the kitchen (Valspar)
Provence Blue in the living room, foyer, and hallway (Behr)

The only room anymore that has carpet is the living room and Rick is working on tearing that out. We are replacing with Pergo to match the bedroom. We're not sure exactly what we're going to do with the steps.

And eventually, we will take out the old floor in the computer room and put the same Pergo down. We have luxury vinyl tile (whatever that means) in the kitchen and porcelain tile in the bathroom.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My entire house is white and light yellow walls, with deep earth tone accents.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
~ Do not use bright red ..!! Not good ... 😳
No kidding ... red is really too much for anything beyond an accent color. I remember many years ago (Reagan was president then, I was a teenager) going on a tour of the White House, and when we were in the Red Room, I thought I would be ill before the tour moved on to the next room).

For my house, I've never understood how shades of brown are considered "neutral"--it's a color! I prefer shades of gray, although I have a pale blue on my kitchen walls. I am adding a picture of Jemmy and Leo on my bedspread to show the colors that I prefer.
Dec2020.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
~ Do not use bright red ..!! Not good ... 😳
DS loves red and would absolutely do this! We gave him DDs old bike and let him choose the spray paint for it. He surprised me by choosing more of a tomato red than candy apple. But yeah; the boy loves red!
I like warm tones too but the last time we painted we used a light gray because it was neutral. When our daughters were teens we let them choose their own room colors - fortunately neither of them chose black for the walls. :lol:
That’s probably worse than the red! His walls are tan and green and I found bedding with a red accent so he’s been content with that! DD would choose a nice blue but DH worked so hard on her walls for her nursery I don’t have the heart to change it. She and I chose blue bedding and things to bring that in.

I think I just like warm neutrals more than cool but then to bring in all the fun colors. I wish I could snap my fingers and have the floors done.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I definitely do not fear color in my house. I love all colors (except yellow), so my whole house is a variety of colors. My bedroom is turquoise, my bathroom is aqua, my craft room is gray and yellow (yes, I do have one yellow wall but it also has stenciled flowers in pink, purple, and periwinkle), my basement is dark and light purples and teal, my pottery studio is pink, the basement bedroom is random blues and the rooms that I haven't painted yet since I bought my house are my kitchen which is like a grass green color, my living room is tan, and the dining room is merlot. If/when I paint the rooms I haven't painted yet, I think I'll do pale blue for the living room, and for the dining room and kitchen, I'm not sure.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’d love autumn shades and reds and greens and purples, but the colours are limited to soft furnishings, because I can’t repaint rentals, and can’t safely have area rugs with Mum in the state she is. The lack of colour in this unit is one of the things I like least about it - white walls and grey carpet, yuck! Even the furniture blanket I put up to try to muffle the sounds from next door is grey (it was that or black 🙄).

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer truly neutral paint colors. The kind where you could easily match it with cool blues or warm reds (as an example). My paint colors are varying shades (light and darker) beige to brown, however...with a grey undertone. Sometimes the lighter shades look grey, sometimes they look beige. The brown I have matches well with black and silver but also blends nicely with the blonds/tans in the flooring.
My taste is eclectic so I have varying types of wood furniture, different fabrics, different decorations...nothing is "matchy matchy" so I needed paint colors that could bring everything together.