Question of the Day - Monday, July 24, 2023

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been looking at expiration dates on things in my pantry and almost jumped today's date to 2024. :lol:

Today's question unashamedly lifted from a Facebook discussion:

Has your cat every scared you from a surprise hiding place? What was it?

When Mooch was younger she used to be able to climb a folding laundry drying rack and get on top. We used to keep it in the shower in our kid's bathroom because they were too little to shower. I'd use that bathroom instead of the master because it's off the hallway and little kids can't be left alone... And the commode faces the shower... So yeah; I definitely wasn't expecting a meow from that height/location accompanied by the creek of the poor drying rack. :lol: Somehow we still have and use that drying rack too. It's probably go years old or close to it too.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I always check where our cat(s) are before leaving the house. I couldn't find Neely and looked everywhere. Turns out she was on the top bunk of my daughter's bed looking down at me as if to say, "What's your problem?" 😸

DSCF0001.JPG

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Molli has a secret hidey hole somewhere in the house. She's been here 11 years and I still can't find it. One morning before work, I couldn't find her. I was a mess and there was no way I was going to work without finding Miss Pop. In desperation, I started calling her (they all answer to their names). "Molli? Molli! Where are you? Molli!!" And, just like that, she was at my feet. "What? What's going on?" I have no idea where she came from, whether the bedroom, a spot in the living room or kitchen, or a portal to another dimension. She scared the crap out of me. And she still does it. She just disappears. I don't know where her hidey hole is. I probably never will. Fortunately, I can call her and she always comes.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gabby has this thing that if my husband or I walk from the kitchen to the living room and she is in a playful mood she will be in 1 of her 3 tunnel toys and run out at us...
One of her tunnels has 5 tunnels that are connected in the middle and it is in the shape of a spiral we never know which one she will pop out of and what makes it even worse is that she doesnt let us know she is ready to play... she like waits until we walk out of the room and she seems to be relaxed on the couch or something and when we come back in we hear something barreling towards us through her tunnel... it's the funniest thing. Then it Is on play time until ***she is done with us*** hahaha

She has these 3 tunnel toys so she has so many places to pop out and it sounds so loud when she comes running through them lol

Attachments

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
My beloved first-ever kitty, Sara, was a frighteningly intelligent tortie as so many torties are. She had a habit of opening the cabinet doors in the kitchen and slipping in, letting the door close behind her. That's not that uncommon. But one day I opened a kitchen drawer, and there she was looking up at me! :eek2: She had slipped into the cabinet underneath, then wormed her way up and over the back of the drawer and into the drawer itself. "I found the treats, Mom!"

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My beloved first-ever kitty, Sara, was a frighteningly intelligent tortie as so many torties are. She had a habit of opening the cabinet doors in the kitchen and slipping in, letting the door close behind her. That's not that uncommon. But one day I opened a kitchen drawer, and there she was looking up at me! :eek2: She had slipped into the cabinet underneath, then wormed her way up and over the back of the drawer and into the drawer itself. "I found the treats, Mom!"
When we brought Gabby home I went to look for her the next day and couldn't find her and she opened the cabinet and went in and shut it she then climbed up into one of the pull out drawers where the hand towels and oven mits were and was sleeping there lol.. I found her by calling for her and I heard the cutest little meow.. we got cabinet locks that day to make sure she wouldn't get into the cleaning cabinets.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lila will occasionally give me an ambush, but my first kitten I had when I was really little would hide around corners and attack your ankles as you walked by. I can remember seeing her peering at me from around the corner with those huge eyes dilated and ready to pounce, and running by, screaming and laughing as this kitten tangled herself up in my little lace socks 🤣

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My former cat Murphy pulled a couple good ones - she actually knew it was a game. One time I heard her meowing very very softly and I was horrified because it seemed to be coming from the kitchen heat vent. In this old house the vents were on the wall, about ten inches high and not attached to the walls very well. I laid on the floor, talking into the vent, and trying to coax her to walk to me. This went on for at least a half hour and I was about ready to get an HVAC person out to pull apart the vents so I could search for her. Then I heard a clink coming for the kitchen cabinet along side the vent, opened it up and out stepped Murphy, looking quite pleased with herself.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
This is another story about my former girl Murphy. If there was trouble to be had, she would be in it, so when I was remodeling the bathroom the door was always kept shut and the room off limits to her. The walls were gone but the tub was still in place so I could use it. One evening I went in to take a bath and of course shut Murphy out. As she usually did she screamed at the top of her lungs and scratched at the door but this night after a few minutes it was totally quiet. A few minutes later I was startled by a noise coming from behind the tub and even more so when out walked Murphy, looking pretty proud of herself. Somehow she had figured out how to go down to the basement, climb up to the ceiling and squeeze herself up thru the plumbing opening and into the bathroom. Outsmarted me again.