Question of the Day - Monday, July 11, 2022

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Where did today go?! I feel like I blinked and it’s bedtime. Oh well; its 5 o’clock somewhere…

What is your decision making process like?

I like to have all the facts and options; at least for big decisions or splurge type purchases. And I like to see it in writing. Sometimes I know I can trust my gut. But other times I know I need more information and/or perspective. It might be something fun like wanting to look at ALL the Scentsy warmers before I picked out my Christmas gift last year. Or all the purses in the department store. It might mean I try on dozens of glasses and take selfies (since I can’t really see myself properly without my prescription lenses :lol:). It might mean not making a decision on school curriculum until I’ve browsed multiple websites for options, reviews and samples. :dizzy: There are often spreadsheets involved in detailed things like book wish lists and Christmas shopping. Seeing things laid out neatly helps me prioritize and make more wise decisions. I keep ordered lists for some things too.

I do not like feeling rushed when making a purchase or big decision. And I REALLY do not like regretting anything that could have been under my control! But thankfully in day to day life I don’t feel the need to get so caught up. It can pay off; but it can be exhausting too. I think I’m getting better at finding balance. Sometimes DH is too quick for me; but he’s been “right” enough times that I think we balance each other.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can be very indecisive up until the moment I actually have to make the decision, and then afterwards I'm plagued with doubts about it.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine goes sort of like this:
What do I need?
What can I afford?
Who makes it?
Will it serve my needs adequately?
Is it available right now?
If all those criteria are met, then I buy; if not, I don't.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can be an impulse buyer, sometimes something just 'pulls' at me and I must have it. I can control my spending though, and usually, I search for the best price and look at reviews before I buy. I am reining in my purchases for the next few months right now, these increased prices are ridiculous! Check it on items you buy all the time, my Friskies wet cat food went from 55 cents a can to 72!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm like you MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles , for big decisions/purchases I take my time and gather all the information I can. And yes, it can be quite exhausting! :lol: I'm not one to impulse buy. Sometimes I take so long to decide that I end up just like..."meh...I obviously don't need it that bad..." and don't bother with it anymore.
I hate the feeling of regret and despise wasting money/food so I do my best to make good choices.
For day to day things, overall, my life is very routine so decisions on the mundane don't really play a factor. The biggest thing I need to focus on is what we're having for dinner. But even that, I'm trying to be better at planning for the week and I base it on what was on sale at the grocery store that week, so on the day...I just know what we're having.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
When we have to buy some things and Rick wants me to make a decision, I say, "I'll know it when I see it" and let it go. That happened with my desk. I went several years without a desk simply because nothing hit me. Then we walked into a store, I walked into an area, saw "my" desk and said, "Rick? I found it!" And that was that. Never been sorry. It literally took me years to find it. And then....there it was. Rick told me that he'd like to get rid of the couch and just have chairs in the living room. He doubts very much it will even be this year because he knows me. I'll know it when I see it.

For appliances and such, I read reviews and more reviews. I check sites out to see what somebody has to say. When I hit a store, I ask a lot of questions. When I was looking for a dishwasher, I was checking out a Kitchen Aid. A woman walked over to me and said, "Do NOT buy that dishwasher! Don't do it!" We had a long talk about it and I didn't buy it. If somebody takes that much time to talk to you about something, pay attention. (I do that now when we're at Lowes and I see somebody checking out SamSuck fridges. They need to know.) Yeah, no matter how something works, even if it's the best appliance on earth, somebody's going to have had issues with it. But I still think it's important to listen.

If something calls to me, really calls to me, I'm going to buy it. Tis what tis. Several years ago, I saw an absolutely gorgeous Santa cookie jar. I stopped dead and said, "I want this!" Well, I don't know why, but I didn't buy it. Still thinking about it a few days later, I went back to the store and it was gone. I have been looking for it ever since. Ebay, Etsy, you name it, I've looked there. It was beautiful. I love Santa and I love Christmas. Lesson learned.

I don't buy something just for the sake of buying it. But sometimes, well, it becomes mine.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
If it's a major purchase I do my research first and talk to friends or relatives if I know they have the item to get their opinion. If it's a minor purchase I usually go with my gut since I know what I want when I see it.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to be as informed as possible, but there are some times when I make spontaneous decisions without a lot of research and I may or may not regret it. I'm currently planning a trip to Boston and Salem and I have been very, very detailed on the itinerary because I'm anxious about getting everything fit into the time we'll be there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine goes sort of like this:
What do I need?
What can I afford?
Who makes it?
Will it serve my needs adequately?
Is it available right now?
If all those criteria are met, then I buy; if not, I don't.
Nice and practical! That's what I hope I'm aiming for!
I can be an impulse buyer, sometimes something just 'pulls' at me and I must have it. I can control my spending though, and usually, I search for the best price and look at reviews before I buy. I am reining in my purchases for the next few months right now, these increased prices are ridiculous! Check it on items you buy all the time, my Friskies wet cat food went from 55 cents a can to 72!
I do impulse buy with some things. Just not expensive things. Sometimes you just know!
I'm like you MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles , for big decisions/purchases I take my time and gather all the information I can. And yes, it can be quite exhausting! :lol:
Yes...mentally exhausting! Sometimes I think they do more harm than good! I'm trying to find a wobble stool for DS for school. He's too tall for kid ones and too short for some adult ones. Then there are the reviews. I'm looking at Prime Day sales which are making me feel rushed...aaahhhh...:gaah:
When we have to buy some things and Rick wants me to make a decision, I say, "I'll know it when I see it" and let it go. That happened with my desk. I went several years without a desk simply because nothing hit me. Then we walked into a store, I walked into an area, saw "my" desk and said, "Rick? I found it!" And that was that. Never been sorry.
That's how I was with our curtains!! If I'm going to have to look at it for a decade or more; I'm not going to just get something to have something! We had blinds but no curtains. I found my living room ones first but it was a few more years before I found the ones in the dining/kitchen! I do not regret the wait. They aren't cheap either. I still love them too! We still don't have a proper bedroom set basically for the same reason. They are way too expensive to go with something you don't love or that will quickly be dated.

DH and I waited to buy our house until we'd paid off basically all our debts. I used to go to craft fairs dreaming about when it would be my turn to decorate a house. Now I'm going to do it the way I like not just to do it!

And I've done similar with your cookie jar. I just try to tell myself it wasn't meant to be!
I like to be as informed as possible, but there are some times when I make spontaneous decisions without a lot of research and I may or may not regret it. I'm currently planning a trip to Boston and Salem and I have been very, very detailed on the itinerary because I'm anxious about getting everything fit into the time we'll be there.
Travel planning is hard! We took a trip with our kids earlier this year for spring break. Normally all our vacations are to visit family and that doesn't always leave a lot of time for sight seeing. I did good trying to stick with one or two things per day plus restaurants. Now with my grandpa passing away I have more time for touristy things when I go see my side of the family so my cousins and I are trying to coordinate some things for the next time I go visit. There is a 10 year age gap between all of our kids, they both have careers...It's way harder than I thought it would be! :doh:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
For purchases online, I usually read a lot of reviews first. One negative review amidst many positive ones will make me change my mind and decide NOT to buy anymore.

I also balance between needs and wants most of the time. Unless they are for my dogs and cats. LOL.

For others such as deciding where to travel overseas etc, I have to check first the safety of the location, costs, etc. since I always travel with my whole family of 10. :)