Question Of The Day - Monday, July 1, 2019

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Happy July! We've reached the half way point of the year! :banana1:

What do you get into when you find yourself with a little extra time?

For me it really depends on how much time that really is. If it's just a few minutes or I'm not home; I open my kindle. That goes everywhere with me. If I actually have time around the house I will work on a puzzle or occasionally something crafty. I don't like to start and stop craft projects so I don't let myself get into them unless I KNOW I have some time. Which is why it's been well over a year since I got fabric to make my DD a fleece blanket with satin edges and she still doesn't have it. :rolleyes:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the time of year and how much time I have. In winter, or if I only have a short break in between projects, I like to do crossword puzzles. I buy those books of 200 New York Times Sunday crosswords, and try to solve them without using references. Also I like to build models, or just read, but it seems that since I retired, I have less free time than ever.

VinceL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
...but it seems that since I retired, I have less free time than ever.
After my father retired, he used to say the same thing. He would say he can't remember how he found the time to go to work. And I, of course, used to question that sentiment.
Jump ahead many years...since I have retired I also don't know how I found the time to go to work. I'm glad that my wife and I both have active lives in retirement. She does some of her own things, I do some of mine, and we do things together. I just pray that we both have good health for many years.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since my surgeries, I tire very easily and have to take a break. I pick up my tablet and play a game on it - Gardenscapes. I don't know how long I can continue this game as each level gets more difficult and then you have to buy boosters to get through the levels. It's getting too pricey to continue for long.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents both retired last year. My mom is busier than ever. My dad is bored to death :/. He needs to find something to do.

I have 6 acres. If I have any free time, I'm mowing. Or scrubbing litterboxes, lol. Or on the internet, obviously.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since my surgeries, I tire very easily and have to take a break. I pick up my tablet and play a game on it - Gardenscapes. I don't know how long I can continue this game as each level gets more difficult and then you have to buy boosters to get through the levels. It's getting too pricey to continue for long.
I hate games that make you pay money to move on. Usually I just keep failing or put it away for like a week and it eventually sets to beatable.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
When I have extra time in winter I like to bake and DH is more than glad to help by being a taste tester. ;) In summer I like to be outdoors since it stays light out longer or if the weather does not cooperate I work on the unfinished knitting I have leftover from winter.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate games that make you pay money to move on. Usually I just keep failing or put it away for like a week and it eventually sets to beatable.
I do that, too. It seems like overnight all of a sudden the difficult level is easy. It makes me angry though that you aren't given enough moves to pass and have to buy something. The makers must make a ton of money.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do that, too. It seems like overnight all of a sudden the difficult level is easy. It makes me angry though that you aren't given enough moves to pass and have to buy something. The makers must make a ton of money.
Sometimes it feels like they're preying on people. Especially for games geared towards kids who will whine that they need to buy the boost to get to the next level, or whose parents have their credit cards attached to a tablet and all of a sudden they get a huge bill just because the kid charged for extra moves and things without realizing it was real money or how much it added up to. I've resolved never to spend my money on one of those free games - I know the creators need to earn money, but I just don't like it and will only continue to play free.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lawmakers have done something about the credit cards. Parents' liability is limited to, I believe, $100 in a month. That's still a lot.

Gardenscapes awards a lot of boosters, coins, etc., as you go, so I can still play for free. It just takes longer and is more frustrating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mother is looking at retiring before too long but maybe not full time retirement. She's been out of work for 2 months with her broken arm and still recovering and she's wondering how going back to her old position will go. I'm going to have to tell her to expect to get more busy if she does. :lol: She's already my kid's substitute teacher/field trip coordinator for our school. I can keep her busy. It would be awesome to not have to take the kids with me to the dentist. :crazy:

That used to annoy me so much I'd quit games. My kids have Kindle Fires with the FreeTime Unlimited. Thankfully in that you can't go shopping and there is plenty to keep them occupied including books to read. I have time limits set on them though. I've had friends whose kids have gone shopping via the amazon app. :doh: