Question of the Day - Monday, December 26, 2022

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just realized it’s Monday. I guess I’m in the Christmas to New Years blur. :lol:

Holiday leftovers: Yay or Nay?

I’m totally in the YAY camp. I love getting out of cooking for a few days after a big holiday. I never mind eating the same thing again either. I did baked ziti and homemade sauce and meatballs with sausage from a local place for Christmas dinner. I’m trying to stay out of it until dinner time because we have company coming. I’m not doing any big cooking till next weekend when we make appetizers for dinner for New Year’s Eve. :yummy:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Yay, holiday leftovers tonight for me! :thumbsup: I love it when I don't have to decide what to make for dinner.

Last edited:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An oldie but a goodie - Michael Field's Culinary Classics & Improvisations. Published 1967 Offers multiple options for numerous classic dishes.

For example, from Classic Roast Beef in the English Style you could transmogrify leftovers into roast beef hash; beef with water chestnuts and shredded cabbage; paupiettes of beef in the French style; cold roast beef au poivre with fresh figs on melon, and more. Start with classic pot au feu or braised fillet of beef, perhaps Yankee pot roast and there are different suggestions / recipes for dealing with leftover.

Lamb. Pork. Poultry. Cured meats. Fish and Shellfish. Multiples starting with stuffed vegetables.

The concept is that you deliberately cook the first time intending to have leftovers.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When I ate turkey, and my Mom cooked it, I could eat the leftover turkey dinner with stuffing, cranberry sauce, etc. for 2 or 3 days, plus turkey sandwiches for lunch. But now I either get invited out for dinner and take my veggie turk'y with me, or don't make anything that would have leftovers, so I don't have the option anymore. Which is totally fine.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not a drop. We didn't do anything on account of the storm, Mom couldn't get her car out, and I couldn't get my car out either. :(

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yay. It means less cooking for me to do.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am a total leftovers person, regardless of if it's the holidays or not. Many weekends I cook 3-4 meals, pack them in Tupperware and that's dinners for the week. It saves me the stress of cooking after work, my job is physically and emotionally demanding and I'm tired when I get home.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Big YAY!!!
That's one of things to look forward too after all the hustle and bustle of Christmas. A few days of not having to cook, and it's always amazing food. And it's not like on Christmas where you fill your plate with a little bit of everything so you can taste it all. For leftovers, you can split it up to make a different meal each day.
Take this year for example. I have leftover turkey, ham and meat pie...so that's 3 different mains/meat.
We also have leftover mashed potatoes, and stuffing...we'll match that with the turkey day.
We also have leftover oven fried rice...that can go with the ham.
We also have mashed turnips and roasted veggies...so split that up between the turkey and ham.
Then we have leftover cucumber salad (cucumber, tomatoes and avocado) and coleslaw...enough coleslaw for at least 2 meals each.
When we get to the meat pie night, we can pair it with any little bits that might be left, but we'll for sure have the coleslaw as our main veggie side.
Not to mention the buns, and we also have some cheese ball dip left too.
I also have some left over Chinese food from Christmas Eve, just a couple of various veggie dishes, so those can be put in the mix too as I only have small portions of the roasted veggies.

We'll be eating like royalty for the next 3-4 days!!!!!:woohoo:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We don't do any kind of traditional meal--we have leftover black beans and enchiladas from our Sunday dinner. We also have butternut squash soup that a friend shared with us, and tamales that someone else brought us. We've got plenty of leftovers. :)