Question of the Day - Monday, August 24, 2020

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My younger brother did the family research and DNA testing, plus we had the old family Bibles which gave a lot of information. Also, several years ago, Ancestry.com made military records available for free for a limited time, and that's where I found my g-g-g-grandfather's service in the Revolutionary War, as well as my g-grandfather's service in the Civil War- for the Union, that is. For one branch, he was able to go back to the reign of Bloody Mary, when one ancestor was executed, supposedly for rebellion, but then the Scots have been rebelling against the Brits seemingly forever

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hold on to those Bibles. They are verified sources.

In doing genealogy, I have never crossed the Atlantic Ocean, only those after they came to America. But a Culpepper on my mother's side went way, way back to about 1000 AD, and I was able to download the entire register from the Internet. The wills are hilarious - all the halberds, axes, spears, and other weapons mentioned. One ancestor was hanged for "poaching on the King's land." I've often wondered if the Culpepper executed along with Anne Boleyn was in the family, but I can't find a sign of it.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hold on to those Bibles. They are verified sources.

In doing genealogy, I have never crossed the Atlantic Ocean, only those after they came to America. But a Culpepper on my mother's side went way, way back to about 1000 AD, and I was able to download the entire register from the Internet. The wills are hilarious - all the halberds, axes, spears, and other weapons mentioned. One ancestor was hanged for "poaching on the King's land." I've often wondered if the Culpepper executed along with Anne Boleyn was in the family, but I can't find a sign of it.
Our original Dutch family name was Anglicized when the Brits took over New Amsterdam, but there are also Ross and Stroud lines from my paternal grandmother (Ross) and g-grandmother (Stroud). As I said, my younger brother has all the particulars; those are just the ones that I remember off the top of my head.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I've had several DNA tests done. I'm Irish, German, English, Russian, Ukrainian, Lithuanian, Latvian, Polish, Swedish, and Norwegian. No Scottish, oddly, or Welsh.

I also have tiny amounts of the following: Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Mongolian, Tuvan and Kalmyk (Tuvans and Kalmyks are Mongols who live in Russia) and Central and West Asian. I also have some Native American DNA and Irish Traveller.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Our original Dutch family name was Anglicized when the Brits took over New Amsterdam, but there are also Ross and Stroud lines from my paternal grandmother (Ross) and g-grandmother (Stroud). As I said, my younger brother has all the particulars; those are just the ones that I remember off the top of my head.
Culpepper was my ggmother's name, from Birmingham, England

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I only know my maternal side as I was adopted at 3 months old but so far I only know that I'm Polish and English. I have no idea what my paternal side is.