Question of the Day - Monday, August 16, 2021

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's the first day of school! :woohoo: but also :bawling: a little bit. I like sleeping late. But so far I'm doing well... I've gotten up, had quiet time, exercised, showered and had breakfast. DD is helping me set up a few things. DS is taking it hardest. Mooch is wondering why she can't sit in his lap on the couch for hours. :catlove::hearthrob:

What did you typically wear for the first day of school growing up? Did you dress up to "impress" your teacher (aka....look good in your mom's photos...I just realized that recently.:flail:)?

All through elementary school I definitely wore a dress the first day of school. I think most little girls did back then. By middle school the first day outfit became more about impressing my friends and classmates than the teachers; but it was still an important decision. In high school there was much less dressing up and a bit less caring about what my classmates thought. But I did go for something that made me feel good. In college...comfort was definitely more important. Even though I went to a small enough school that most of my classes only had 30 or less in them.

And in case you are wondering; yes my homeschooled kids have to dress nice for pictures today. Complete with chalkboard sign just like their public and privately schooled counterparts. :lol: Tomorrow it's up to them. (But rarely do we just wear pjs.)

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember wearing a dress only once, for the first day of third grade-it was burgundy and white checkered. We got it at the Navy Exchange, which had a limited selection, and that day at the bus stop a kindergartener showed up wearing a smaller version of it :lol:

For the most part, though, I wore a t-shirt and either shorts or leggings.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my mom gave up on trying to dress me up in nice clothes during elementry school :lol:ever since my kindergarten days my group of buddies and i always played rough and we all got dirty :lol:any sports or team games always turned into some kinda no rules anything goes jungle ball as we called it was great fun and somebody always ended up hurt at the nurses office daily along with fights when things got to outta hand. best times were during winter and we actually had lots of rain here:lol:you got sent home once you got all muddy or waited for your angry mom to bring clean clothes for you:lol: we all had/have conduct disorder as my gf tells it. once junior high came i just ditched on picture days so i have always been just a sneakers jeans t shirt type guy:lol:still am even though i got fancy nice stuff to wear that gf tells me to wear when its needed:rolleyes:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that I was 16 or 17, had outgrown my father and had a part-time job before I wore new clothes to start the school year. Previously, it had been hand-me-downs, from a variety of sources.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Went to a Catholic grade school through 8th grade so no choice in what you wore - blue jumper uniform with a white blouse underneath. There were slight variations from jumper to jumper but not enough to make one more distinctive than the others. Ours were always donated so sometimes they fit well and some times they didn’t.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was in elementary school,it was pretty much whatever my Mom told me to wear.Once I got into jr. high and high school,whatever the rage was at the time is what we all wore.Most of the time she approved but sometimes,not so much.

miss eveliina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Elementary - leggings, a long sleeve top or hoodie.
Middle school - jeans and a t shirt with a hoodie.
High School - Jeans and a cute blouse.
University - Similar to what I causally wear now. Straight leg dress pants, a blouse and leather jacket.
This fall I probably will wear something similar even though my first semester will online due to the pandemic.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We went clothes shopping before the start of the school year and wore something new for the first day in elementary school. Middle school was no big deal and not sure about high school since we were more concerned about what to wear for Homecoming. College was jeans and a comfortable top. Fast forward to my own kids and they also went clothes shopping before the start of the school year.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been trying to think and can't remember! I'm pretty sire at least when I was fairly young I dressed up, but I think by sixth grade I had my iwn uncool style. I wish I could remember better!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most of the primary schools here have simple uniforms of khakis with certain color polos. I think one middle school lets them wear black pants or khakis. I don't think most of the middle schools have uniforms though. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that. But I do hear a lot of parents say how simple it makes things.

Here’s my first day of kindergarten dress. My mom gave it to me for DD but she was tall for it at that age. I should have done a picture anyway.
D6B95FEE-19CC-40DA-9A16-E5D469552060.jpeg

Last edited:

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always dressed to impress 😂 usually for my peers though. I remember having my outfit for my first day at secondary school picked out weeks in advanced. As the years whent on, it became more about standing out and looking "hot", although I do have some "proper" looks for school pics sometimes.
Here are some of my looks for the group pictures: IMG-20160912-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20151013-WA0002.jpg
And this is one of my looks now in college 😅
For my school pic IMG_20200109_164426.jpg
And a regular day outfit
IMG-20201113-WA0011.jpeg

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Summers were spent with my grandmother and I wouldn’t come home until the weekend before school started, so it was always a mad dash for clothes. When I was younger, we had to wear skirts or dresses. In HS, we were finally allowed to wear pants and I always wore jeans.