Question of the Day - Monday, August 14, 2023

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's been a hot busy day for me but it won't be long before things start to cool off. Another month and things should be pretty nice most days! School starts in ONE week! I've been busy getting things together. Today I'm reading the teacher manual for DD's history. They used to come with a CD of visual aids and things you could print off or put on a screen. This new edition has a website with links. And they are WAY more interesting! A number are for interactive "tours" of relevant locations. There are video and audio clips. It looks SO much more interesting than what you used to find in the resources. I'm excited to see how they enrich our lessons this year.

Do you have any interesting museums near you?

We have a few historical sites with Historical Interpreters. I think the most popular one is an old fort on an island. I've never gotten to go though. They are typically only open on the weekends during the school year but when they arranged a homeschool day they sold out 2 full tours! My mother has taken my kids to a historic plantation. We have some smaller museums geared towards specific local interests; but only one art museum that I know of.

I think the best museum are Children's Science museums because they are hands on and most encourage parents to play with their kids. We have one within driving distance that is fun enough. I do not like cities with all the traffic and noise. But that's where the best museums (and shows) are. DS wants to visit the Air & Space Museum in Washington DC someday after I told him about going when I was a kid. That would be a fun family vacation someday; but its not close.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
We natural science and history museums. When I was young these were free and we loved to go there. Now they charge $10-15 each, which unfortunately stops many parents from taking their children to visit.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have a historical village which includes a number of buildings from the 19th century (including things that would have been found inside places like a one-room school, a medical office, a general store, and so on).

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are Three Museums nearby. One is the "Bily Clock Museum". The Clocks were made by Bachelor Brothers whom were Farmers. The Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum, Family settler information . The other is Vesterheim Norwegian-American Museum That shows artifacts of settlers whom immigrated.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
COSI, Center of Science and Industry. In addition to the permanent exhibits, they have a number of visiting exhibitions throughout the year. Right now, they have an exhibit called Tutankhamun, His Tomb and His Treasures.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
cleveland museum of art is amazing. in the 70's king tut's stuff visited.

history museum

dinosaur museum

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing near me that if you want to call it a museum, I'll go with that. The 'Natural Wildlife Museum' or something. Full of different predators and prey. Also, a full variety of bugs (summer months) and currently featuring a lot (a lot) of toads.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I follow an Instagram account of a local mom who finds fun things to do around the area, so I'm aware of several children's museums aside from the big one where we're members. We took my dad to this little one last month that was entirely made by the kids in the attached gifted academy. It had things like Alice's tea party, dressing up Easter Island statues, and a play seafood restaurant.

The pictures on the wall of the first picture show the students making the objects they're next to.

20230815_161153.jpg
20230707_112041.jpg
20230707_111921.jpg