Question of the Day - Monday, April 24, 2023

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry for the late question! Everything I had planned for errands this morning went off track. And every adjustment I made had to be readjusted. All I could do was laugh and hope no one in the hair salon heard my stomach growling during DS's haircut. :lol: It was all good once I got my cold brew fix at Dunkin for $3. :crazy::drool:

Are you good at remembering people's names?

If I see someone's name in writing I remember it pretty easily! If not; it's harder unless I hear it a few times. I know the trick where you look at each person in the face and repeat the name during the introduction; but it can be hard to do that. I joined my new church's homeschooling group and it's not a big one; but that gave me a bunch of names to learn at once. I realized one of the moms sits near us in church every week and I've been running into her dropping kids off at the children's church; but I'm not 100% confident I remember her name. Our church even has an app for groups so I can go in the group's little page and see a list of everyone's names...but there are no pictures to match faces. The next time we have an actual homeschool group event I'm going to need to ask people names again. :lol:

Oh; we have a group text going but since I only have the leader's phone number saved I can't tell who else is saying what. So someone is going on vacation. Someone else is going on this other group's field trip that sold out and someone else has information on a volunteer community service project if we are interested...but I have no clue who those people are.:flail:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those people that I see on a fairly regular basis, yes. Others, those that I only see or have seen a very few times, not so much.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If I have more than a very brief conversation with them and call them by their name, I'm good. If it's a brief "Hi, I'm whoever" and I'm like "Hi whoever, here's what you needed, have a great day" I'll never remember.
(Even if introduced on a first name basis, I sometimes have a hard time calling anyone much older than I by their first name, it's always Mr. or Miss/Mrs. There are exceptions though.)

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually yes. I'm obsessed with names, so oddly I'm more likely to remember someone's name if I know their middle name as well. I may be able to remember someone's name, but I have mild face blindness, so I'm not likely to remember someone's face. I would be a terrible witness.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m cursed. Usually takes me at least three times, but I remember everything else about them.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Because I had to learn so many of the students names at school I developed a knack for remembering names. I still run into some of the students that were in my class and so far have remembered their name. But spelling last names is another story. :wink:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well,I think I do.Working in HR for so many years,we had hundreds of associates in our store and I felt that was the right thing to do remembering their names...then their other halves,and their kids.It's just what we did,and I still do.Hubby is horrid with names,so somebody has to keep up,right?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not good at remembering names especially if it isn't someone that I have current regular contact with. I remember the person, what they look like and things about them but not their name.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm OK with names, I guess, but it's moreso facts about the person. When I was working, I was probably better than I am now. At work, my boss would ask me, "Do you remember so-and-so?" and I could say, "Oh, yeah, he subdivided a property out in such-and-such township and I went out to take pictures. About 4 years ago. He wanted to divide the house from the land." Or something like that.

Although usually, it was facts about the people who made me crazy. A woman in town who would call me to complain about something really stupid and who wanted to do something she simply could not do. She moved out of town about 15 years ago, but if somebody were to mention her name, I could tell you everything about her, including the fact that she seemed to get really bad around the full moon. I swear. She could knock on my door this morning and I'd remember her. Oh yeah, I'd remember her.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope...Not unless I've met you multiple times or you REALLY made an impact on me in our first introduction. Working with the public, I also sometimes forget the names of people if I haven't seen them in a while...I'll see the name and think the name is familiar but can't picture them, but will recognize them when I see their face.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty good with faces but not with names. When I first came to live at assisted living it was hard to remember names because there were so many new people. If I learned a person's name and I don't see them for awhile then I will forget their names. There are 5 Betty's and 4 Pat's living here.