Question of the Day, Friday, October 29

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3:

In honor of Halloween this weekend, tell us a spooky story. Did anything ever happen to you? To somebody you know? Ever been to a haunted house? Do you believe in the paranormal?

I'm not a big believer in anything paranormal, but I'm leery, if that makes any sense. Some nights, when I'm walking to the house from the WeShed, I get this "feeling" of something not quite right and it's spooky. But I've never seen anything.

What about you?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brothers and sister and I were raised in a haunted house, we thought it was normal. The 'hauntings' consisted of hearing definite footsteps walking on the floor above, pausing, changing directions, the sound of doors opening and closing, and coming down the stairs. My parents always told us it was them checking things at night. They did not tell us it was not them, and they heard it too, until we moved. My dad was a policeman, so at first, often thought it was an intruder. Nothing bad ever happened, just the footsteps and small items being moved into other rooms, so we learned to live with it. The atmosphere surrounding it 'felt' peaceful, like someone was really checking things and keeping us safe. We didn't bring it up often with our friends, they thought we were nuts!PS we lived there many years and when we moved we were amused to see the new owners calling police about an intruder at night! I often wondered if they learned to live with it too.

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Out here one morning heard the church bell ringing.The church is unused these days and was definitely locked and the bell rope inside. When I asked a neighbour he refused to check and said that if there were something supernatural going on he was not going to disturb it .

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
when I was a child, on a trip with my parents and younger brother .. we were asking our mom all these questions about angels. ( Dad was driving ) We must have learned about them at Sunday school or something ? anyway, she answered them as best she could. we stopped at a plaza for lunch and to do a little shopping. Our dad was a cop, and one thing he was diligent about... LOCK all the doors and roll up all the windows. always did . we live in NY after all !! we came out a few hours later... lying on the front the seat of our car .. was a book.. "all about angels - Gods messengers " ... we have NO IDEA how it got there !! my brother still has that book to this day . we are 55 and 53 now !

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had a few "spooky encounters" over my life but my earliest memory, for as far back as I can remember is, three "entities" would peek thru/stand in my doorway at bedtime for a bit before moving down the hall towards my sisters bedroom. I never felt scared of them though...
The "entities" were simple human shaped pale greyish misty lighted shadows...It's hard to explain what they looked like. They didn't "glow" but they weren't just shadows either...
I'm not sure how old I was when it stopped...but eventually I didn't see them anymore.

Scary incident when I was a teen...and totally made of my own imagination...
I was home alone for the weekend, and one night, "I know what you did last summer" was on TV. I decided to watch it.
My bedroom was a walk out to the back yard and I had a door to the outside. At the time, I didn't have curtains yet for the widow on the door. So the movie is over and low and behold...a storm rolls in. Every time the lightning strikes, the shadows casted from the tree and whatnot outside makes it look like the fisherman with the hook is standing right outside my door.
I spent the rest of the night watching infomercials as I couldn't sleep....

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shortly after my family had moved into a new house, I was in the bedroom my sister and I shared. My mother, father, and sister (B) were downstairs. I was laying on the bed reading and someone knocked loudly on the door. I said come in! Nothing. So I got up and opened the door, nobody. This happened again with the same results. When it happened the third time I stomped downstairs and asked who was screwing around knocking on my door. They were all busy and claimed it wasn't them. I knew it wasn't because they would have been laughing their heads off. After that a few unusal things happened, but I can't really remember the details. We called him Ralph. After I moved away, my parents and sister moved to another house and he followed them. Once, one of my sister's friends was staying the night with her, and she was still sleeping after my sister had gotten up and left the room. The friend came downstairs and asked my sister if she had shaken her bed? B said no, and friend said someone had shaken the bed pretty good and woke her up but nobody was there.

My sister also said one time she woke up and saw the bottom half of a man standing by her bed, but it disappeared quickly.

Ralph has since moved on. B thinks he went with the friend as she has had some unusual things go on.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had a few "spooky encounters" over my life but my earliest memory, for as far back as I can remember is, three "entities" would peek thru/stand in my doorway at bedtime for a bit before moving down the hall towards my sisters bedroom. I never felt scared of them though...
The "entities" were simple human shaped pale greyish misty lighted shadows...It's hard to explain what they looked like. They didn't "glow" but they weren't just shadows either...
I'm not sure how old I was when it stopped...but eventually I didn't see them anymore.
Are you sure they weren't grey aliens there to abduct you and/or your sister? (yes, it's a real thing).

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
A number of things have happened in this house and I am convinced I have a resident poltergeist. Things like lights and flashlights turning on in the middle of the night, the screen door locking itself and locking me out and a couple of weeks ago the TV turning on at 2 am. They happen so frequently I don’t even get scared anymore but do get annoyed. Stomping thru the house in the middle of the night to turn off this or that yelling “that isn’t funny!”

The creepiest though for me is the pictures. A few weeks after I moved in I came home to a framed photo of a little girl resting up against my door. Checked with the former owner and the neighbors and it didn’t belong to them, nor had they left it for me. A year later there was a 5 x 7 photo of an older woman laying in the driveway near the front door. Again a mystery of how they got there but something very unsettling about them.

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure they weren't grey aliens there to abduct you and/or your sister? (yes, it's a real thing).
Oh I'm sure. They were see thru "shadows" just not black/dark like a casted shadow would look like. I just describe them as a pale grey light, because they weren't BRIGHT white and glowing...but they did "shimmer" in a pale grey/beige. They looked like if a human form was made of morning mist with just a bit of sunshine on them....again...hard to explain...

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine would be the creatures my ex-husband and I saw that I mentioned in a previous post. It happened nearly 20 years ago, but it still bothers me.

My now ex-husband and I were riding on a four-wheeler in the field trails near our old house. We had done it hundreds of times. We lived in the country with lots of cornfields and wooded areas. the trail was the fastest way to the only store--a country store and gas station--within 10-15 miles. The sun was low. From a distance, they looked like extremely tall, emaciated deer eating grass just on the edge of the trail. When we got closer, it was clear they were not. They were dog-like. Their faces were covered in blood because on the ground in front of them was a torn open deer. The sight made my ex slow to a stop. He said a swear word and asked, "What are those things?" When he spoke, they all looked at us. Three went back to eating, but one watched us. We were so afraid that we sped through the soybean field to avoid going past them. We knew the farmer, so we road to his house. I was too afraid to look back and see if it was chasing us. The farmer went the next morning and found the spot. There was a lot of blood, but not a trace of the deer. The tracks led back into the cornfield. He did not feel safe following the tracks.

Based on the height of the corn, when the one picked up its head completely, it was slightly taller than me. I am 5'. That is how I know it was not a pack of dogs or coyotes. I tried to convince myself that it was a bunch of bears with mange, but I know it was not. They do not look remotely like that, and bears do not hunt in a pack and are not known for killing adult deer.

Needless to say, it was the last time we road that trail. The farmer, however, did report that he had found several similar scenes near his field, as had other farmers. Some reported missing livestock. Our back yard butted up against a moderately dense treeline and a cornfield. I never felt safe in the yard again. I even convinced myself that I was being watched a few times.

The whole thing makes me feel crazy. Anyone who knows me would say that I am a rational, science-loving perso who is not prone to the fantastical.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have never had any paranormal experiences; however, I suspect that I am the type of person who "blocks" that kind of information even if it is out there. My best friend's BIL passed away 5 days ago and she has called me several times since to repeat this story to me.

BIL was failing from various medical conditions and, after a long battle, the doctors finally suggested that he go home with hospice. He was brought home and rapidly declined. Around midnight or so, the family was called in. This included my friend, her husband, wife, children...so several people of all different beliefs and outlooks ranging from atheist to practicing Catholic. As BIL became weaker and they all gathered around his bed, a recessed light began to flicker on and off. Everyone saw it and it continued to do so as he weakened. Finally, his son said that he had heard that if a soul was about to depart that you should open a window, which he did. A few minutes later BIL passed and as soon as hospice declared him deceased the light stopped flickering and stayed on, which it has done ever since. They had a neighbor who is a contractor come over to take a look at it and he said that nothing is wrong with it.

susanm9006 susanm9006 I have two adult friends (no kids) who live in a house where they have similar experiences. Came home to find the guest bathroom sink filled with water and a book open and face down in the water. Stuff that just does not "happen."

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was raised to believe that there are no such thing as ghosts, that all unexplained phenomena (like aliens and ghosts) are caused by demons (and maybe, possibly, occasionally angels, but to be careful because demons can do nice things to pretend to be angels, etc.). So most of my friends had stories of demons doing this or that, but I was always skeptical. Their stories always seemed to me to have rational explanations.

I remain mostly skeptical. Most things do have rational explanations. But I have come to understand that there are a lot of things in this world and universe that we don't know yet, some things we'll never know, some things we'll suspect but never know for sure, and there are some things that our limited brains can't even comprehend.

And I do love reading Mandela Effect, glitch in the matrix, cryptid, etc. kinds of stories on Reddit. Oh yeah.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always been very superstitious and have believed in the paranormal since I was a child, despite never having been from a superstitious household. The rest of my family is though, so that might be where I've got it from!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Several years ago we visited an old historic cemetery in the city that is haunted. We went there in the daytime, just in case, but I looked up the graves of where hauntings supposedly happened beforehand. Some of the ghost stories have been passed down from generation to generation. Many strange occurrences have been reported and some have tried to be explained with science or other rational means but they cannot come up with a valid explanation. 💀

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't really had a paranormal experiences, although I have had some experiences that I have been really good about denying it as a possible paranormal experience because I'm not entirely sure I saw what I saw. Both instances happened in the same bedroom at the house I grew up in.

I was cleaning up the bedroom and moving stuff from under the bunk bed when I swear I saw our dead cat run under the bed. Another time, when I was an adult, that bedroom became my mom's sewing room and I think I saw something moving on its own, but I think it could also be my eyes playing tricks on me. That house was built in 1980 and my parents were the only owners until 2018 when they sold it, so I always believed that since there wasn't any history behind the house like where someone died, that it was unlikely to be haunted. It was farmlands before 1980.

Anyway, one other time, I was sitting at my desk in my bedroom (same house), with my back to the room when it absolutely felt like someone was in the room with me. I turned around and there wasn't anyone there, but the feeling was so intense it freaked me out.

I don't believe my current house is haunted, as I've never had anything weird happen here. It was built in 1960 and I've heard it was potato farms before that, so I'm not too concerned about there being some sinister history to it.