Question of the Day, Friday, March 20

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one litter box...extra large that the cat uses just for peeing...he has to poop outside (cats are weird).
I use a recycled paper pellet litter and it goes straight into the compost bins and breaks down really quick with all the other vegetable matter and other green waste.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
One cat, one giant litter box. We use Tidy Cats clumping litter and scoop several times a day or whenever he uses it. We keep the box in the bathroom and throw the clumps in a plastic bag. We have done this with all the cats before him and it's just become habit.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nine cats, four boxes. We would have more if we could (cats and boxes!), but our house in less than 1000 sq feet, so there is not enough floor space for more boxes. Thankfully, our weekly "pee patrol" inspections do not show any out-of-box issues. Three are behind an old Chinese divider screen. The other one is upstairs in the hall. None are covered because our cats do not like it. We use Clump and Seal for multi-cat homes. While I would prefer it to be perfume free, I can live with it because it is the best litter I have found.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 10 boxes that are actually gray plastic totes from WalMart.I have doxies so dog proof is key.I use the special kitty litter and buy usually 100 lbs at a time,which will last me a couple of weeks if I'm diligent with my scooping,which I do every day now that I'm retired.I use my WalMart plastic bags to scoop into,tie a knot and outside to a special trash can for them only.Trash goes once a week and it's contents go as well.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One in use (we have a second that wasn't getting used too much, but will probably come back once we move into our much bigger house) that's in our sun/cat room. I use the Tidy Cats free and clean unscented, and scoop once a day, which the girls are fine with. I buy the litter bags from Petco, tie them up, and then put them in an empty Tidy Cats container until it's full, then I'll drag it down three flights of stairs and empty it into the apartment garbage outside.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
4 cats, 5 litter boxes.

The big one is in the front hall. I almost never use the front door, so this is a really private spot, and that big litter box gets well over half the business. There is one in the bathroom, one in the bedroom - for when the cats need to be put in there. Also one in the cage for when I have Diamond or new kitten Boden (found in a tree during a bad storm) in there, and one in Diamond's room.

I use Elsey's and scoop at no set time, but often before a shower. I use whatever bags I can find to put it in, and then put them in the bed of my truck, in a cardboard box until it is time to take it to the dump. I do not put it in the trash compacter there. :biggrin:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Two boxes for one cat here. It was two for two except when we had the littermaid box. Then i got away with one. My girls were littermates so they never knew anything different. We use Tidy Cat scoopable. I tried to change it a few times but Noodles wasn’t having that. 😉 I don’t see a point in trying to change things now on Mooch at her age. If it ain’t broke; don’t fix it right? I do keep a puppy pad under one box that she pees over sometimes because of not being able to squat well anymore. It doesn’t happen too often if I’m careful with how much litter I put in there.

I scoop once a day using Walmart bags mostly. When they outlaw those I don’t know what I’ll use yet.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We have one cat and one giant covered litter box in the upstairs hallway right outside the bathroom, with a large double-layer mat in front of it. Mowgli completely ignored the second box - identical except for the color - no matter where we put it, so that's stored away. We now use very fine unscented clumping corncob litter (an Italian brand called Siria). The box is checked/scooped 3 - 5x a day and deep-cleaned every 3 - 4 weeks. Normally there's something to scoop twice a day. The clumps and poo go into a small Oscar-type pail lined with a drawstring plastic bag.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I have just Cal and 2 boxes. One in the downstairs bathroom/laundry room, (I don't have a basement).
The other is in the spare bedroom and I scoop each one twice a day or if she's had a smelly poop, I
scoop it soon after. I use a dust-free litter, the box is upstairs but I think it's called Swept Away. I keep
fresh litter in a Tidy cat container in the downstairs bathroom and upstairs I keep some fresh in the box
that it came in. I use plastic bags from the store and put the dirty litter in a tidy cat container on the deck.
then take it out to the rubbish receptacle when the container is getting full. In the warm months, Cal likes
to go outside so I use less litter.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 cats, 2 over-sized boxes, one in each of our "spare rooms". We use Worlds Best at the moment, but I'm thinking of changing to pine litter. I scoop once a day (sometimes 2) and use small kitchen garbage bags or I will re-use a plastic grocery bag in a small garbage can. I use the same bag for the whole week, just close it up so it doesn't stink.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3:

Let's talk about scooping litter boxes.

How many litter boxes do you have and where are they in your house? What kind of kitty litter do you use? How often do you scoop the boxes? And what do you use for litter bags?

For our four kids, we have five litter boxes: One covered in the kitchen, One covered in the living room, One Booda Dome in the bedroom, One covered in the computer room, and One uncovered in the compute room. We started using Tidy Cats decades ago and have just kept using it; a few years ago, we did the switch to scoopable. We generally scoop once a day, although the time may vary. We keep extra bread and roll bags on hand and any other bags we have, even cereal bags, noodle bags, etc; when that fails, we use plastic grocery bags. I swear if somebody could figure out a way to actually use kitty poop, they'd be rich!

What about you? Talk to us about how you deal with kitty litter.
We had 7 but we're down to 5 now -- 2 in the master bath, 1 in the "guest" (a/k/a "my") bath, 1 in the master bedroom (because Baby Su lives in that room) and 1 in the laundry room. I scoop at least 5x a day, use scoopable, unscented litter, and am lucky enough to still be able to get the plastic produce bags.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Three cats and three extra large, high-on-three-sides litter boxes. Until last October, I had four large boxes in two rooms downstairs. But we moved to a smaller place so now there are thee boxes all in one large bathroom. I use (well, they use) Smart Cat clumping grass litter. I had to start putting pee pads at the entrance of each box because Lily is increasingly having problems squatting with her arthritis. She tries to squat but sometimes half of the urine lands outside the box. I have a web cam that notifies me whenever one of them goes in there so I scoop every time one of them uses the box.
CDACF617-9364-42DF-A931-359FECDC9F7E.jpeg