Question of the Day, Friday, June 25

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually get my fruits and veggies from the local supermarket. However a few times a year, I go to this farm where you can go Apple Picking 🍎and when in season Pumpkin picking. We pick loads of apples and buy plenty of other fruit. They also have Apple Cider, fresh jams, and the best pies I ever tasted. There Dutch Apple and their Cranberry Apple pies are heavenly🥧🥧🥰. We have to drive 80 miles away to get to this place, but it's worth the trip. 🙂

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are lots of farmer's markets around here, even ones that run all year. I've been to a few, buying fruit and veggies. Besides the usual produce vendors, many markets have vendors selling prepared foods like dumplings and jarred sauces, handmade items like soap, locally caught fish, locally raised meat.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have "The Farmer's Market" in town but I haven't gone in ages...We also have several farms around here that are open to the public to buy direct, and we often see small stands set up around town too with various different things.
If I stop, it's usually to get fresh local produce. We also have a newer small cheese farm but they are always sold out of the days batch if you don't get there first thing. I tried their dill flavored cheese curds once when my co-worker brought some in for us.....O...M...G! the best!!! We also have a strawberry farm where you can go pick your own basket...I'm hoping to get out there this year.
My grandparents used to sell stuff at The Farmer's Market. They sold jams, jellies, spreads, fudge, peanut brittle, and other types of preserves and goodies...all home made of course and they also sold knitted things (sweaters, mittens, scarves, blankets etc...) and baby and kids sized sewn clothing (jumpers, hats, bonnets, etc...) It was more of a hobby for them as a way to get out and stay active, but they still made some decent money...

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
There are farmer's markets around here. They are worth visiting in strawberry and peach season. But the closest is almost a 30 minute drive. There are many roadside vegetable stands in the area that are much closer and have better quality for the most part, though not as big a selection.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes we have a farmers market in town....Tuesday afternoons and Saturday mornings,and we usually go to the one on Saturday.This one vendor in particular has greenhouses and he has the veggies earlier than most,and they are beautiful,clean and packaged quite generously.I love his kale and green onions,but my absolute favorite are his radishes.OMG they are to die for!His cabbages in the fall are wonderful too.We go quite often.

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes and yes. I try to spread out my $ between several vendors, but my fave is the pickle guy. He has a pickled cauliflower that is insanely expensive and insanely delicious. I am not a pickle person but the cauli is amaaaaazing.

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, now I really want this fruit dip. I somehow doubt it would be the same using dairy alternatives. But the craving is strong.
Cool Whip is oil, so it could be done.

Oops. Reread and realize you meant the other dip. 😉

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We have many options for farmer's markets and I have several favorites. Unfortunately last year during the pandemic not as many of them were open and the ones that were did not let you pick your own produce, the vendors selected it for you. They also didn't allow dogs which they did in the past. :frown: This summer they have lifted many of the restrictions and I go to the markets where this one particular vendor sells the most wonderful homemade breads. My all time favorite being their raisin walnut bread and chocolate almond croissant. :yummy: