Question of the Day, Friday, January 10

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I've found that I actually skip over about 75% of the grocery aisles unless I need something very specific for a special dish/occasion (like cranberry bread for the holidays).
If I go for groceries by myself (which is rare), I will only go into the aisles that have what I need. It's quicker. When Rick and I go together, then we go back and forth through every aisle.

Quite some time ago, I read somewhere that you should really go into the store, go through the produce section, then go back to the rear of the store (meats), then around to the far side (dairy) and then check out. If you stay out of the aisles, you stay away from all the junk. I suppose that would work, but I always need things like paper towels and toilet paper, detergents and the like. And cat food....always cat food.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Normally go once a week, but could probably stand to go every two. The closest is Food Lion, and mainly buy veggies (frozen or fresh), fruits, tortilla wraps and tofu on a weekly basis. Mainly bananas, apples, oranges, tangerines, mushrooms, cucumbers, and yellow and orange peppers. May spend $15-30 depending on the week. If more olive oil or avacado mayo is needed, the cost is near the higher end or slightly over. Buy more rice and pasta when needed. Toilet paper 4 roll for 80 cents and lasts about a week.

Sometimes have snack splurges and impulse buys, which are typically between 10-20 dollars.

The sales here at school are not as low as back home, so my diet has not been as varied to be frugal. I definitely check sales, but also check prices when there.

Although, I do buy other stuff when needed when on sale. Walgreens typically offers B1G1 on nuts, so I stock up with $30 that may last 3-6 months. Also just bought 48 larabars for about $30, which will last me a while, too. Normal store prices are almost a dollar each.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mother does the shopping since she's the main income provider, but she doesn't tend to have a budget when she goes grocery shopping, however does do a large shop every weekend and sometimes gets several pieces inbetween during the week if we run out (just small thinks like milk or an ingredient we need but haven't got for a meal). She always makes long lists on her phone but remembers the main purchases we get every week, so doesn't need to write them down.