Question Of The Day, Friday, December 29

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning! :wave3: And Happy Friday! Rick and I are on Day 2 of our five-day long weekend.

What will you do on New Year's Day to celebrate the start of 2018? Will you eat a special meal or a special "good luck" food? Will you watch all the football games? Will you spend your afternoon taking down holiday decorations? Will you spend your day on the couch with the cats reading your latest book? What's your pleasure?

I always make pork and sauerkraut over mashed potatoes for our New Year's dinner. My grandmother made it and so did my mom. It might be an old PA Dutch thing, I'm not sure, but it's supposed to bring good luck. Right before we go to bed (around 2-3:00 in the morning or so), we'll give the cats a snack, hoping they keep quiet longer than 5:00! I'll put the pork roast in the crock pot and let it cook until around noon or so. We'll have an early meal.

I'll be taking down the Tacky White Tree in the afternoon and then vacuuming up all the white "needles"; there are a lot of them. I'll take the kitchen decorations down, too. The living room tree will probably stay up until the weekend. Rick will be watching football games pretty much all day and I'll read for a while. We will go up to spend some time with his mom right after dinner. This has the been the first time in years that we've had no parents with us on Christmas or New Year's. It's kind of weird.

What about you? How will you spend your first day of 2018?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll probably start the day early, when I find myself needing to use the toilet. This is Jasmine's signal that it's breakfast time, so I'll feed her. Then I'll take my Nook and go back to bed, to continue reading Hidden Figures in comfort. When I finally get up for real Roger will be "watching" football games in the living room (i.e. sleeping on the sofa while a football game runs on the television); I'll try not to disturb him. I'll check in here, and then go back to my eBay search for a decent external sound card at a price I can afford (the problem being to identify which ones are "decent"). Along the way I'll play a game or two of Sudoku (Sudoku 9x9 - Free Very Hard Online Sudoku Puzzles), check in here a few more times, and read some more. When Roger wakes up I'll probably pull out the wand toy and Jasmine and I will have a few games.

We live an exciting life around here. :hellocomputer:

Margret

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'll be working at the animal shelter, so any celebrating will be done with the critters. At least the phone won't be constantly ringing. Dinner will have to be something quick when I get home.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
No plans whatsoever here. Maybe we'll go out to brunch but other than that, I'm hanging at home with the kitties.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work New Year's Day :lol: Ah well, extra time and a half money, and plan to have something nice with me mom when my shift ends after the fact.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
My neighbor, who is out of town, has asked me to set off fireworks for his friend's granddaughter. He supplies the fireworks. It may not happen. I may visit my 90 year old friend and take some Chinese food, depending on how she is feeling.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The forecast for New Year's Day is a high of 5 degrees F so I'm sure we will be indoors relaxing with one very cute fluffy four-legged feline. :creampersian:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
This year I think I will be spending my time between relaxing with Mouse and cleaning and tidying my apartment. The emphasis will, of course, be on relaxing with Mouse. :cloud9: :petcat::cutecat:

I like to start the new year with a fresh home and usually spend new year's eve getting the place staightened out, then on New Year's day tend to go round to one of my family for a meal. This year I'll be working most of the day new year's eve and then my mother is having everyone round to her place for a meal in the evening. That means lots of yummy food but no time for the clean and tidy before midnight. :ohwell:

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I've been sick with a cold the past few days, so I am not planning a special meal. It's so COLD here, too, so I plan to stay indoors, under an electric blanket, reading, watching Youtube on the TV, with a cat or two on my lap. I will probably venture out to feed the feral colony, though.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pork, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes sounds like the trifecta of deliciousness...

We don't do anything special food wise. I do have a ritual of taking an old purse, putting a little cash in it, leaving it right outside the front door and bringing it in right after midnight so I start the new year by bringing money into the house.

I will not be watching any football games but UCF is playing in the Peach Bowl!! Go Knights! :cheerleader:

No decorations went up so none to take down. :jive:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I wish I could say I'd be recovering from an all night party, but sadly all my party friends are away this New Year and Mr Husband is working all weekend, so it will just be a very quiet January 1st for me.

I'll probably get up and feed the kitties at the usual time, then go back to bed and sleep some more. The end of the year has been particularly hectic and I'm really looking forward to having two whole days off.

:bunnydance:

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
New Years Day is usually a solemnity where we celebrate the Solemnity of Mary the Mother of God and we attend mass that day as a holy day of obligation, but because that day fell on a Monday, we didn't have to go to Mass.

We eat sauerkraut and pork and kielbasa. Christmastide lasts until the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord, which this year is January 7. So the Christmas decorations can come down some time after the Epiphany.