Question of the day, Friday August 6th

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning everyone

Today's question is

Do you live in a city, in suburbs or in a rural area?? And do you like where you live?

I've lived in suburbs for about 10 years, before then I lived in a city. When I first moved here, I hated it with a passion, because of the lack of people all over the place and because of how quiet it is; also because I can't walk to stores and places like that..But now I have to say that after 10 years, I don't mind it at all, and whenever I think about moving I get a little uncomfortable imagining myself living in a city, where there won't be parking everywhere and every little errand is a bigger task than it should be.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live in the city, with 3 colleges and universities w/in walking distance, so it's a college community type.
There are lots of young people and they're well behaved so there's hardly any trouble and it's quiet.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a rural area. It was more rural 30 years ago when we came here. But since then, they have put a signal at the end of our road onto the major highway. People from all over use this as a shortcut now. Mornings and late afternoons are busy with people going home from work.

But in the daytime and weekends, it's pretty quiet.

If I didn't love my home and my land do much though, I would move 50 miles further out on a dead end road, 200 feet back from the road, and the nearest neighbor 20 miles away.

Not that I am anti social, but I love peace and quiet, and privacy.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We're considered rural here and that's good for me. We live between two university towns, so we do have some nice ecletic stores for shopping and we're starting to get some rather nice restaurants, too, not just chain restaurants. In fact, we don't have a lot of the bigger chain restaurants around here; our area wouldn't be able to support them.

I live about 7 miles from my work, so that's not too bad. But it does get congested at times and then it can be a madhouse....not like an urban area, but for us, it's congested. Our main route is a main north-south thoroughfare in PA, so it gets used by a lot of people. Plus, we're right south of I-80.

Overall, it's pretty quiet here. Pretty, too. We do have those rural views and can see forever to the south of us. We have wildlife; the deer have a path between our house and our neighbor's house. They like to stand under the maple tree at the back of the yard in the early morning. One Sunday morning, I was out walking and saw a gaggle (is it gaggle? Or rafter?) of wild turkeys....man, they are a lot bigger than I ever thought! There's another bear around again; DH saw his scat again about a month ago. It's a nice place to live and to raise a family.

Unfortunately, there are no decent jobs around here anymore. We used to have several manufacturing plants here, but most of them have died. Our unemployment rate is high. Young people are leaving in droves; there's simply no reason for them to stay. If you can't find a job, then you have to seek elsewhere....simple as that.

I'd move, but DH doesn't want to right now. I think that when we both retire and our parents are gone, we may head for North Carolina. But right now we have too many family responsibilities. Our son and his family are moving to NC, too, and I think that will give DH more of an impetus to move, just to be closer to the grandchildren. But we'll see.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're in the suburbs.
We really love where we live. The neighbourhood is really nice and we have no problem at all with any of our neighbours. It's out of the city enough that we're out of the fog belt, but only a 25 minute drive to work.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a fairly small rural town, but it's only an hour to the city. I love living out here, sitting out on the patio listening to cows and sheep I find it very peaceful.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We live in the city. It's a smallish city though with two universities and the suburbs seem to be ever-expanding. I've never felt this is a proper "city" more like a town that got big. I do like it here though. There are tons of parks and trails and shopping is good.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live in a suburb, but I live on the rural side
I'm about half-way between the 2 bigger cities in NE Ohio, Cleveland and Akron

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rural here, on a back road, not too far from the big city. There is a golf community behind me but no complaints.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in what you would call the suburbs, it's a city but not as crowded as other cities here in NJ. I was born in the city of Newark, now that's a real crowded city with people double parking everywhere and nowhere to park at all. So compared to that, this is definitely the suburbs. To people who live in the very rural areas, this would seem like a city to them.

I love the rural areas but as I have said before, I enjoy everything at my fingertips, never having to travel far for every little thing. I am within 5 miles of everything you can think of and that's what I love about the suburb/city life.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Good morning everyone

Today's question is

Do you live in a city, in suburbs or in a rural area?? And do you like where you live?
I live on acreage and am happy with that.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a small city--about 42,000 people. At one time (way back in the 1850s) we were the 3rd largest city in Illinois. Now, we're the largest city between St. Louis, MO and Springfield, IL. We have a university, a community college, a symphony orchestra, lots of museums and parks---just like the big cities.
We live near 2 city parks and a huge old cemetery, and 5 blocks from the Mississippi River. I've always loved this end of town and have lived most of my life within a 6 block area. I wouldn't mind living a little further out "in the boonies" but since I can't pack up my garden and take it with me, I guess I'll be here for a long time.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're in the heart of Victoria which is a small city, about 80,000 people; 330,000 in the "Greater Victoria" area. I like that it's beautiful here, with a great climate, but it's isolated being on an island (shopping here is terrible!) and everything is very expensive.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in the suburbs. I've also lived in rural areas and prefer them because the setting is more peaceful.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Live in a rural area surrounded by protected wetlands and farms. Live on a dead end road as well. I love it. My only complaint? Lots and I mean a lot of mosquitos due to the wetlands. But, I'll take that over living in the city with lots of people any day

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess it would be considered suburbs. A little further out is definitely rural! The town I live in isn't too terribly crazy busy, but easy access to stores and what not. I live on 1.5 acres, and there's only 5 houses on my street, which is nice, since it's a back road off the main road. (My in-laws live on the main road, and have 3.5 acres).

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We currently live in the suburbs, within 3 miles of the city limits (we wouldn't have to license Nora if we lived about 4 blocks further west...grumble). Soon we will be moving to a rural area, though, to an acreage. I can't wait!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
City, off of one of the most busy roads in this area. It's crazy at times!! I HATE the traffic when I want to go down the main road, but I love that one of the largest park in the US (Shelby Farms) is LITERALLY behind my complex (opposite direction of the main road)! We have a private access gate to the dog park side of the park from my complex, so I love that all I have to do is a little walking and I'm in a gorgeous park every day with my puppy. You can go horseback riding if you want to rent horses, you can watch the bison herds, you can run/walk the trails, feed the birds, use the dog park, have a picnic, fish, you name it! It's like a huge taste of the country literally in my backyard!

I think it's the best of both worlds- big city one way down the street- anything you could possibly want: hospitals, malls, shopping, grocery stores, you name it! Then you go down the street the other direction and you have one of the biggest parks in the US. It's pretty awesome! I love my new place and feel much safer here than anywhere else I've ever lived in Memphis. (Just moved in July 10th). Memphis can be a pretty amazing city when you know where to go (you just have to watch the crime in certain areas).