Question of the Day, Friday August 25, 2023

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
If you had a chance to learn another language, what would it be?

Although Spanish would probably be more useful I would learn Portuguese. There is a large Portuguese community in my area.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't exactly say I was bilingual but I had a good understanding of Spanish when I was younger. Unfortunately I never followed through and would love to be able to catch up.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Italian for sure. I chose Latin in high school because they didn’t offer Italian here. 2 sets of my great-grandparents were born in Italy so there is that connection. But theres also a long fascination with ancient Roman architecture and id be much more inclined to actually travel if there wasn’t a language barrier.

Spanish. I'd like to know what the other customers are saying in the grocery store! :lol:
That came in handy when a bunch of families from my church got together and booked a cruise when I was in high school. My friend’s older cousin had majored in Spanish and shocked the men discussing her when we were in Mexico. :lol: Now she’s an elementary school principal and they have an ESL program after school for parents who need help with their English. So I guess its good for noble reasons too.:lol:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
French, I know Spanish would be much more useful, but I love how French sounds. I tried Spanish in high school and lived in Germany for five years, but I have no aptitude for learning other languages. I never was able to trill the r's in Spanish, everyone else was able to do it but I couldn't.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be Sicilian, which all the adults spoke at family gatherings when my grandparents were still alive. I used to be able to understand enough to follow some of the conversation. In college I took an Italian class but dropped out because there are differences between the Sicilian dialect I had listened to and Italian, and I found it very confusing.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Japanese. We've had some Japanese clients that have a difficult time making reservations and answering questions we ask, and it would be so much easier for them if I spoke their language.
Our city has a company that often has people come from Japan for an undetermined length of time, and a lot of churches help them better their English. Being bi-lingual would be so beneficial for everyone in that situation.
Close second/third would be Hebrew and Greek!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In high school,those of us who had good grades in English were taken to a meeting in the auditorium and offered the choice of French or Spanish. I chosse French because of my French ancestry. I took it for two years and never did very good, but I still know a bit. Every so often I'll go into Duolingo and play around a bit.
My husband took Russian in high school. He remembers very little of it.

bobkater

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They used to say that Latin would help with learning other languages. But learning Latin is more difficult than any of these, plus it's dead.
So, I chose Italian to start with, which is a kind of simplified Latin, and a lot more used by itself.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm struggling with two. Japanese is hard, but I guess as I've come this far with it it would make sense to learn Chinese next. At least I already know the basics of the writing system.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am horrible at foreign language. I took 2 years of Spanish in high school, learned nothing and most people in my career speak Spanish and have tried to teach me, and over 20 years all I've learned is a few words and phrases. However, I'd love to learn Japanese if I was able to. I've always been fascinated with their culture and would love to visit some day.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm teaching myself Korean and Irish Gaelic at the moment, but if I had to chose a different language I would chose Arabic. Considering the Arabic speaking population of the world is increasing, it would be a very useful language to learn!