Question of the Day, Friday, April 7

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Early in our marriage, we had only one car so I took Roger to work in the morning and picked him up in the evening.  So one evening, I put the vegetables in the nice copper-bottom pot and set it on the gas stove to cook, and then forgot to turn off the stove before I went to pick up Roger.  Totally burned the bottom out of that nice pot. 
  I don't remember what we ate that night.

Margret

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Just one of those 'leave the toast in the griller and wander off' scenarios.  When I came back the fire brigade was there.

No fire, but a lot of smoke and it was an apartment building.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Rick did that to a hamburger one time. He came home late, threw a burger puck in the frying pan and turned the stove on. He sat down on the couch and fell asleep. He awakened a while later and there was absolutely nothing in the pan. Smoke was everywhere. It was ugly. Thank goodness, he woke up in time.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i've had kitchen screw-ups!

cooking rice on the stove. i've learned that i must watch it until the starch cooks down/off (at least that's what i think causes the rice to bubble up), lifting the lid when the bubbles get close to the top of the saucepan......otherwise, it'll bubble over onto the burner every single time -- such a nasty mess!. i tend to like to multi-task, which doesn't work well when i'm cooking rice.

then there's the slow cooker chicken stock recipe that i made once. i followed the directions carefully, and when it was done the stock tasted like ever so slightly chicken tasting water. i'm still not sure if the problem was something i did/didn't do, or the recipe. i'll be making chicken stock again next week, and am going to find a different recipe to try.

and finally, there's the first homemade ranch dressing mix recipe i tried. the second recipe is great, but the first recipe i tried tasted overpoweringly of onion -- way too much onion powder! it was the recipe itself that was to fault. i looked up several other ranch dressing mix recipes, and noted that they all called for about 1/4 the amount of onion powder than the first recipe called for. however, i saved the too oniony mix, and will be converting it up to a larger batch of the second mix recipe, to bring the onion powder to the proper amount in the mix.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know one of them (soda, I think) requires a hotter temperature at the beginning to get the rising process started. Could also have been your oven temperature. So many things can go wrong with baking.
Or expired too.  

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another one but not me, although I was there.

A roommate of mine, who I'd known since college, was a bad late night snack person.  Not easy things like a bag of chips. No, she'd make full meals. Drunk.

One night, I woke up at around 3am and smelled smoke.  I got up and realized it was coming from the very small kitchen (which, btw, was in a very small apartment - studio style).  The smoke was coming from the broiler. Opened it, and saw burnt chicken parts. Not just cooked, but freaking meteorites by the time I got to them.

Woke up my friend to tell her what a dangerous screw up she is.

In her semi-drunk state, she actually got up, and went into the kitchen, put a piece on a plate and proceeded to eat it!

You can not make this stuff up people.  

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many years ago I couldn't cook to save my soul. I put some eggs in pot of water to hard boil them. I forgot them and went down the block to an antique store. Came home to a smoke filled apartment with eggs on the walls the ceiling everywhere. The pot was burned beyond belief.