Question of the Day - December 30, 2019

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Happy New Year’s Eve Eve! My kids and I are getting plans together to make appetizers for dinner tomorrow. This is the first year we are going to let them stay up and they are so excited! 😆 DH would be excited if we let him go to bed early. 😉

What is your best New Year’s Celebration memory?

I think mine would be the 99/2000 one I shared in this thread: Remember back when the new millenium was new? 1999-2000

Even in college I was a tame person. And I’ve always been introverted. So hanging out with friends laughing and munching on good food has always been ideal for me. We usually gathered away from the loudest areas anyway so that worked well for me. That year there was definitely an extra anticipation/excitement over all the Y2K stuff we’d been hearing about. ;) :rolleyes2:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went to Steven Van Zandt's wedding (a/k/a Miami Steve Van Zandt of Springsteen's ban) on New Year's Eve sometime in the 80's - I don't quite remember the exact year. It's decades ago.
Yes you read that right.
One of his first cousins is a close friend of mine - I was his date. I knew the family very well, though not Steve. It was VERY memorable. Held at the Harkness House mansion in NYC, his wife was a ballet dancer at the time and the Harkness Ballet was housed there at that time if I'm not mistaken.
I remember getting there in a big van with his entire family from New Jersey. A ton of famous people were at the wedding, obviously. I vividly remember seeing Martin Scorsese there, and it was quite something. I wore a tuxedo style dress, gosh I wish I still had it not that I'd fit into it now LOL. Such a good time. Springsteen & his band came on well after midnight to play

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last News Years Eve we set up a big digital screen in a park that overlooks the city ( yep..I was working) to play movies for the kids and others to keep them entertained until the fireworks start. It is a fun night and everyone has a great time.
It was early in the night and still daylight and had just finished setting everything up and there was easily a 1000 people sitting down on the hill in front of the screen and a mass of kids right up front.
I was standing with 3 cops and security discussing how the night would go and a guy walking a huge dog come walking down the path.
You could see by his attitude and arrogance that he was thinking: I walk my dog here all the time....I am not going to walk around the crowd (mainly kids) I am going to walk right through everyone.
One of the cops started to bristle up saying if that dog has go at anyone that guy is in big trouble.
We were all watching as were all the crowd, everyone thinking this guy is a jerk and as the dog got right into the middle of the crowd the dog decided to do a big dump.
The rules are here that if your dog does a dump you have to pick it up.
Anyway next minute this poor guy has about a 1000 people chanting at him..pick it up...pick it up....pick it up.
Just imagine a 1000 people watching you picking up a steaming fresh dog turd while cheering you and all the hilarious comments.
The cops were rolling on the ground in hysterics .my ribs were breaking from laughing so hard watching the man, his dog and the turd disappear out of the park like lightning.
It made my New Years eve.. I will never forget it, talk about instant Karma..lol

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister and I would have New Year's Eve sleepovers with our friends all the time. We would make "gingerbread" houses out of graham crackers and discounted Christmas candy. One year I made a double-wide trailer with a broken-down Ford in the yard, another year I made a plantation house, and another time I made a church with a steeple (that ultimately collapsed on the parishioners). I could only find a picture of the plantation house. I'll have to see if I can find pictures of the others.

005p.JPG

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate to be that person but I've never done anything for new years. Every year, I hope I'll get to do something fun but nothing ever works out so I've stopped hoping because it just leaves me disappointed. I'll be spending this one like every year before, alone and in bed.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, tough question for me. Since I got here where I am now I have not really celebrated the New Year like I used to have. I guess my happiest memories of New Year were the ones I had with my family - particularly those when my son was much younger. Just looking at him happily running around and excited over the fireworks made my heart sing with joy. :)

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Wowza, the best one were in the 70s, having an amazing dinner, dancing till my feet felt like they were balloons.
Everyone dressed up them. Pretty frocks, platform shoes, etc. Calmed down in the 80s, had dinner wih good
friends of ours at their house. Caesar salad, filets,lobster tails, and great appetizers.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't celebrate New Year's anymore. Back in my drinking days "the early 70's" I used to go to bars to celebrate with friends. Mostly gay bars. It was fun but those days are over. Now I am asleep long before midnight and I usually have at least one cat with me. I hope I can get Tommy in tonight.