Question for the "older" ladies - Men Beware!!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

Prometrium - got it. Will look for that at The Vitamin Store. They usually have everything.
It's by prescription, so you'd want to have your progesterone and estrogen levels tested. When one hormone is off, they all get out of balance, so it's very worth doing.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh. How amusing. I think I just realized why my bedroom has been getting wicked hot wicked suddenly for no apparent reason at all in the middle of the night. *facepalm*

Guess I've some research to do!

AC

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I can't help you. As I mentioned in the "old men"
thread, I'm on HRT. Mine is a compound of estrogen, testosterone and progesterone. I had a total hysterectomy at 24 years old and did start out with Premarin. But because breast cancer is so prevalent on both sides of my family, we felt that I was safer on the compound.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catkiki

A hotflash is when you feel extremely hot all of a sudden. I normally have one of those paper oriental fans next to me to fan myself.

Nope, no help at all, never went through that. Friends of mine tried explaining them to me. too, but I just cannot imagine them. In my case, everything just stopped working, so to speak, one month, normal period then nothing......no mood swings or anything.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sk_pacer

Nope, no help at all, never went through that. Friends of mine tried explaining them to me. too, but I just cannot imagine them. In my case, everything just stopped working, so to speak, one month, normal period then nothing......no mood swings or anything.
You were so lucky in that aspect. My periods slowed down for a bit, then no period for a few months. Then I would have a heavy period, then spotting every couple of months. Now I haven't had one for over a year. I started off have just night sweats but now it is the hot flashes too. I am hoping the black cohosh works. I know it takes a couple weeks to see the results. Maybe I was imagining it but it seemed to be better last night.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I second Catkiki on sk pacer. YOU are SO lucky!!!!!!!! I wish it were so for me. I also have been suffering from hot flashes for a few years. I am going to try the Black Cohosh again like you Catkiki. I am off to Jewel/Osco and will pick some up. We can compare notes here and see if it helps
I did try the Black Cohosh a few years back with not very good results, but it is worth another go.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

When I started serious night sweats in my late 30's, my doctor prescribed some HRT meds at the time. They put me in my most psychotic state of my life, in a hide-the-knives-I-might-kill-someone sort of way. I will never again take HRT in my life.

My night sweats aren't as bad now as they were back then. I recall one winter when we lived in our old house (farmhouse built in 1884). The upstairs had no heat and it was below zero outside. The windows were so old and leaky that during a strong breeze, the curtains would bellow inward. DH went to bed with thermal long johns topped with fleece pants, hoody sweatshirt (which was over his head), heavy wool socks and mittens. We had flannel sheets, a heavy wool blanket and a thick down comforter. He'd get under covers and complain how cold he was. I on the other hand would be laying in a t-shirt on top of the covers with a towel under me to absorb the sweat. Yes, it can get that bad. I'm just glad I can look back and laugh about it now.
The towel is a great idea!!!! But I turn and move so much, it would bunch up
and make me even more crabby
. I have to laugh at your story, because in the dead of winter, I will leave the window open a bit in below zero weather. Larry is all bundled up on his side of the bed under a ton of blankets and I am in a cotton t-shirt with just a sheet
This was last winter. I am hoping to get this under control by the next winter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

I second Catkiki on sk pacer. YOU are SO lucky!!!!!!!! I wish it were so for me. I also have been suffering from hot flashes for a few years. I am going to try the Black Cohosh again like you Catkiki. I am off to Jewel/Osco and will pick some up. We can compare notes here and see if it helps
I did try the Black Cohosh a few years back with not very good results, but it is worth another go.
The one I am taking is made by Nature's Bounty and is natural whole herb, 540mg once a day.