Question about taurine and Instinct cat food

mptpeace

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I’m adopting a cat soon and have been doing a lot of research on cat food. I came to the conclusion that I would feed my new friend Instinct by Nature’s Variety wet cat food because I read great things about that brand.

I didn’t see any taurine in the ingredients or guaranteed analysis. Isn’t taurine essential for cat health? Am I missing something? Is it called a different name that I didn’t recognize when reading the ingredients?

Can someone with more cat experience share their thoughts on taurine and Instinct cat food, I will be a first time cat owner so I’m a little bit of a noob when it comes to this. Thanks!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Taurine is very important for cats. Not sure what the requirement is. I saw it listed at the bottom of the ingredients. I have never seen it listed in the guaranteed analysis of cat food brands.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might be mis-reading the label. Here's the ingredient list for the Original Beef canned variety that does have taurine listed:

Beef, Beef Liver, Beef Broth, Tricalcium Phosphate, Ground Flaxseed, Montmorillonite Clay, Eggs, Peas, Carrots, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Minerals (Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Iodide), Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid), Taurine, Salt, L-Abscorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Menhaden Fish Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Artichokes, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Tomato, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, Parsley

All of the Nature's Variety Instinct foods are complete balanced diets with the necessary vitamins and minerals added, including taurine.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I personally feed my guys Natures Variety and they do fairly well on it. I know there are a few of the Natures Variety wet varieties that have enough natural taurine that they don't have to add extra. As long at the food says it is complete food you are good.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Taurine occurs naturally in meat muscle, so some foods don't need to add it. As long as the food meets AAFCO standards for a complete meal, it will have enough taurine.

It does seem like their wet foods all have added taurine though. Be sure to get their cans, which are a complete meal. Their pouches usually say "complement" or "supplement," meaning they're just something to add to meal to make it tastier, but they are NOT nutritionally complete.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To clarify, the pouches of Nature's Variety Instinct are only supplement / treat type foods and do not contain taurine.

The Nature's Variety Instinct canned and cups are complete diets with taurine included.