Question about cat urinary blockage aftercare?

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Our pet was released Friday from emergency vet for partial blockage. He had a cath for 2 nights, sent home on gabapentin and a med to relax urethra. So he actually hasn't strained at all when we got home, producing normal to large volume urine every few hours. He's now fully on Royal Canin SO urinary -wet. He always ate wet before too.

My question - he seems to be going every 2 to 3 hours, but good amounts, no straining - in and out. Could he still be peeing out the IV fluids he was on at the vet? The last fluids he received was Friday and today is Monday! I don't see him drinking anymore than normal, he's always been a good water drinker, many fountains around our place. All his kidney function tests were normal.

more info - Phenoxybenzamine is the drug we got. His last dose was yesterday morning (Sunday) because ED said since he's not having any urinary symptoms, go ahead and stop because it was making him nauseous. Told we could stop gabapentin today if no pain - which he is not acting like it. He's running around playing.

I'm nervous.

thanks!

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As long as he is urinating and seems to be feeling okay, you should be fine. Usually if a cat is blocked, they have some damage done to the kidneys. This is treated with a high volume of fluids. This would explain the large amounts of urine. I would still give a call to your vet to discuss.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As long as he is urinating and seems to be feeling okay, you should be fine. Usually if a cat is blocked, they have some damage done to the kidneys. This is treated with a high volume of fluids. This would explain the large amounts of urine. I would still give a call to your vet to discuss.
Thanks. They said we caught the blockage very early. He actually had peed before we took him! We thought he was having a pancreatitis flare because he started his yowl, but turns out he was just starting to block! So they said all his kidney values were perfect. I called the ED and they said it could be a combination of the new food, the ivs, the meds he was one all working together to make him produce more/larger urine. They said if it doesn't calm down in a couple days, bring him to the vet. I forgot our vet also had us increase his prednisolone (on for IBD/chronic pancreatitis) for 5 days, so that probably makes him drink/pee more too.

Man this cat! If he can get the disease, he will! it's just so stressful. We were finally used to him having panc flares once a year and now this. :(