Question about Amoxicillin side effects in cats.

TunaCat00

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A few days ago I had to take my cat in to an emergency vet for an abscess that had ruptured. They cleaned it out and he's currently on amoxicillin for the infection. He's definitely doing better, but he's gotten sick a couple times today and yesterday. They gave him an injection for nausea to help with the anesthesia they had him on, but I assume that only lasts for so long. I know amoxicillin commonly causes stomach upset (I've been on it plenty myself) and I don't think his reaction is unusual nor do I have any intention of taking him off of it, or ending early. Mainly I'm wondering if cats adjust to it after a couple days, or if I should potentially be looking into calling my vet and seeing about more anti nausea meds. He also has to wear an e-collar and eventually I'm not going to be able to watch him constantly. I have him on one of the pillow ones, so he can mostly function on his own, but when he throws up the collar does get in the way, so I also don't want to risk not being around to clean it up for him.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The anti-nausea injection was likely Cerenia and it only lasts for about 24 hours. Why the vet didn't give you some Cerenia pills to take home with you is above and beyond me. Also, it is important to make sure he eats with the antibiiotics as that helps reduce the stomach upset. I know it's hard to get him to eat when he is nauseated, so I would suggest you call your vet and ask about getting more anti-nausea meds to give him - or, maybe they will let you bring him in without an appt, and have a tech give him another injection and then you can give him oral anti-nausea thereafter.

You can also try to administer any of the meds he needs to take with some baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut Stage 1). Oftentimes, cats will eat some even when they don't feel well.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TunaCat00

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, it was a small emergency vet and not my primary vet. I tried calling my vet but they just told me to give him his meds with food, which doesn't really help me until his next dosage tonight. Honestly I may try calling the emergency vet again if it gets too bad. They were pretty lovely. (I'm kinda trying to find a new primary vet)