Question About A Feral Cat

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find the best time to look for cats is in the very early morning before too many people are out and about and in the evening when people get home from work and are feeding there cats, then again later when it gets dark. Also if there are any dumpsters in the area, check there. That would also be a good place to leave some food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
IMG_1785.JPG
I'm sorry this took so long to reply to, but I hadn't seen any hint of ferals around since then, so I'd just figured the male I'd seen had gone on to another neighborhood. Until today. I think I found his girlfriend. She looked lean, except for a swollen belly, which is why I assumed she's pregnant. I saw her walking down the neighbor's driveway, so I went outside after her, with the idea of bringing food to see if I could get her to approach me.

As she saw me coming, she ducked behind a bush. She just sat there, in a crouched position, trembling slightly out of her fear of being about thirty feet away from a human. I slow blinked at her, to try to show her that I wasn't trying to harm her. Only then did I realize that in my haste to get out the door, I had forgotten to bring food. :doh: I dashed back inside, grabbed a treat bag, and headed back out. Unsurprisingly, she had disappeared from under the bush. I tried searching around the area, but she was I where to be seen. :(

I'm so sorry I'm so ignorant about this, I really want to help this kitty, and the male of course, if I can find him. Should I try leaving food in the area where I last saw her? The only cat food I have is prescription K/D for Charlie, (which is why I was bringing out a bag of treats) but I could go and buy some regular cat food.

I'm guessing kibble would be better than wet food since it would be left for longer? What kind of food do you guys give your ferals, and how much? I know that since this kitty is pregnant, she'll have more nutritional needs than other cats. If the food is gone in the morning, how do I know it's not just, like raccoons eating it? Would the typical procedure in this situation be to feed her daily to attract her into my area and then trap her? Socialize the kittens and then spay and release her?

I've attached a picture of her. This is zoomed in, BTW, I didn't want to like freak her out by getting too close.

Also don't know what those flowers are, do they look like lilies to you? They're on the green space between my and my neighbor's house. Do I have to be worried about her chewing on them?

Thanks so much for any input!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's very pretty. Pregnant cats should eat kitten food for the higher protein. I never left food out for the feral I trapped and TNR'd because there are dozens of ferals in the neighborhood and I really wanted to help the one who has always stayed away from the rest of the gang and hung out in my backyard. Also, there are raccoons and possum...so you don't know which animal gets the food...only that some animal will eat it.

With Kit Kit, I got within the distance where her comfort level let her stay and tossed some kibble in her direction about half-way between us, then I stepped backwards a few steps in retreat to widen that distance. At first, she wouldn't come forward, so I would toss the rest of the handful of kibble out and say "OK, see you later then," and walk away from her. I was able to watch through a window...she'd come out and sniff to find and eat the food. Eventually, she started coming forward while I was there and I was finally able to get her up to the patio.

The main thing is, you need to find a way to let the cat know that you have food for her and get her to eat the food you offer, either with you there or with you standing around a corner where the cat can't see you but knows that you brought her food.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yes, agree with the many good solutions suggested.

Just like what orange&white orange&white mentioned, let them associate you with food. Dosen't matter if you cant lure them out, which is difficult at this moment.

When she's having a good look at you, leave out the food on the ground and make some invitation sounds so that she knows that sound and you means food. Then stay at a safe distance and coax her out and if she doesn't come out while you are there, dosen't matter, just leave her and let her come out at her own time when she feels safe to do so.

Keep doing this till her confidence is built up. Once she sense no threat from you and see that you are flying a friendly flag, then take the next step. Oh ya, one more thing, leave fresh water each time where you leave the food. If you can afford it, leave out both wet and dry food, else wet is good for the female.

I guess they go scavenging for food all around. Help them realize that you are the feeding station and be there same time every time, whether it's once , twice or thrice a day. Get them get use to the routine and you.

You have to be very very very patience and do not rush else it's gonna take eternity to trap her and save the kittens and also have the male neutered and have her spayed.

Keep us posted :wink:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tabbytom has a good point about schedule. Kit Kit is almost always around at sunrise and sunset. There would be "sightings" in between at all different times, but most cats seem to come out at dawn and dusk. If you can afford the time to schedule in twice a day set times to just be outside with food, that might make a difference. Otherwise, you may want to carry a little Ziploc bag of kibble in your pocket when you're out, just in case you see her or the male.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Oh, one more thing on the feedings, best is to feed them same time same place all the time. This is to create a sense of personal dining space for them and they know it's going to be their territory. If you scatter food all around, they'll have to compete with other cats and it'll take a longer time to get use to you as they would be confused as to who you are feeding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
This is only the first time I've seen her, so should I go back to the same spot tomorrow and see if she's there? Or just have food on hand and offer it to her next time I see her? I'm worried about not seeing her again for a while, and then I wouldn't be able to socialize the kittens!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
At this moment, it's a hide and seek game. It's good to find out where they usually hang out. After that, try to lure them nearer to you.

You might not gain her trust the first time even with food. It takes time and if you think she's more comfortable where she is and it's not difficult for you, then, find her and feed her from there.

Just don't scare her if you might never see her again. For the kittens sake, go to her and make her comfortable.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, if you are thinking about leaving food outside, why not leave food out on your own patio. You want to draw the cats to your house right? You could leave food outside your door and set up a trail camera for which animals are coming up and the times.