Question About 7 Day Old Kittens

FloofersRus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
9CFB9E9D-7FAD-43E9-B37E-231FC959D855.jpeg C815E787-A3FC-4440-AB4E-38FF954AE120.jpeg F2C9D389-01C7-47D8-82FE-E6F926935AF9.jpeg How can I tell if mama cat isn’t stimulating the kittens enough? I’m new here but I’ve been ghosting the forums and everyone seems welcoming. A little backstory on our babies : mama Jinx lost her mucous plug last Tuesday night. Wednesday night I became concerned because she was just not progressing like I thought she should, so I rang the vet. The vet said if she hadn’t began active labor by Thursday afternoon to bring her in. I took her in and they ended having to do a c-section. For the first 24 hours post surgery she would have absolutely nothing to do with the babies. I bottle fed them and stimulated them for approximately 24 hours. But during this time I stayed persistent with introducing the babies to mama. She finally came around and started caring for her litter as she should. I’ve been weighing them daily and they are all gaining weight. I’ve yet to see her clean them? They are not fussy but I worry that she’s not stimulating them. Perhaps she’s doing it while I’m not in there (which is quite often). I have had to change the bedding often because they crawl across it and it stimulates them to urinate. I’ve yet to see any proof of feces. Is she probably just cleaning it up well? I’m a nervous wreck. Sorry for such a long post.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Relax. Mom is taking care of things. Most importantly is that the kittens are nursing well.

There may be unclean bedding because mom is not perfect. Change the bedding. Given time, she will get better at her job, but you may still see signs of pee or poop. This is normal. Let mom do her thing. She will feel better each day!

Did the vet spay mom when performing the C-section?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FloofersRus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. Yes, she was spayed during the surgery. She’s turned out to be a wonderful mama. It’s the nurse side of me that’s paranoid. Mama is recovering well. She’s eating very well. I’m feeding her good quality wet kitten food and also adding powdered milk replacer to it. She has 24/7 access to dry kitten kibble as well. The vet suggested the wet kitten food along with the replacer. She’s not drinking as much water as I would like but a call to the vet eased my mind with that, he said the wet kitten food was a good source of water. Thanks again for your quick reply.