Queen Eva gets her teeth brushed (video)

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Queen Eva was playing a Burrower Game with my kitchen chair pillow when it was time for the nightly teeth brushing sessions. She Burrows into the pillow case and then somehow pushes herself to the floor. I don't know why <ggg>

Anyway, since I had the camera handy I decided to record her having her teeth done.

PS if you listen closely you can hear a couple of her brrmph sounds while she's playing, she was purring too, but my camera doesn't pick up purring. I wish it did.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That was so precious ... her brmmph sounds were so cute... what a gorgeous girl she is

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So do you just rub the toothpaste on her gums/teeth and that's it?

It didn't look like you brushed anything, I'm just curious since I've never seen a cats teeth being brushed before, I pictured a finger brush with toothpaste and rubbing it on the teeth/gums for a few seconds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, just rub it on teeth and gums. C.e.t. is an enzymatic veterinary paste. Enzymatic (for anyone who might not know) means "breaks down bacteria".

Just getting the paste into the cat's mouth is beneficial, but making direct contact with teeth and gums is, of course, better. It's not abrasion that does the work, it's the enzymatic action.

And it works. Of course it doesn't replace professional dental cleanings, but it sure cuts down on the frequency of them and delays dental decay for most cats.

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting!

I am taking Kaymen (my 9 yr old tortie) in for her first dental cleaning this Summer. After they're cleaned I should start brushing hers as well.

Do you get the toothpaste at the dentist office? Is there a certain kind to get?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momto3boys

Interesting!

I am taking Kaymen (my 9 yr old tortie) in for her first dental cleaning this Summer. After they're cleaned I should start brushing hers as well.

Do you get the toothpaste at the dentist office? Is there a certain kind to get?
c.e.t. veterinary paste. Most pet toothpastes are not enzymatic so are useless. yes, you can get the c.e.t at the vet or on line. I get it at entirelypets.com usually, though it may be cheaper on amazon.

My cats had to be trained to accept this, I will be happy to post my methods.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great! Queen Eva's just too cute.
I'm surprised Genever never burrowed in a pillow before, because she's a burrower and likes to play 'blanket monsters'.

I can do the gum rub thing with Genever, but I won't even bother to try with Dorothy. Another hindrance is Dorothy doesn't seem to like the toothpaste, while Genever will eagerly lick it off my finger (when I just don't have it in me to actually hold her head and brush/rub.)