Queen Being Agressive

Sadiekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we have a mom cat that adopted us. Kittens are now 10 weeks old and mom is acting agressively all of a sudden to litter. She was fixed two weeks ago. Suggestions?

Mummycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Based on experience, could be a number of possible reasons related to the neutering - hormonal imbalances, stress and anxiety, post-operation pain. Best is to separate Mama cat from the kittens until you can determine what exactly is the cause and do what is necessary. Perhaps Mama wants to recuperate and rest and her babies are more than a handful.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not all cats like other cats. Some Mom cats want absolutely nothing to do with their kittens once they are weaned. It's not terribly unusual. I'd seperate them and if you decide to keep mom and a kitten or two then do slow introductions as if they didn't even know each other.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The two most probable causes is, 1 the separation process has began. 2. she is in pains by something. Having pains she hasnt the same patience as usual. Although ex homeless have usually good healing meat (they must have otherwise they would perish sooner than later).

So the recipe is to separate for now, and have your eyes open if she has any more signs of pains or physical problems.

Begin to adopt out the kittens if this is your plan. Otherwise reintroduce them slowly and calmly when everything has settled down.

Essentielly as the others says. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sadiekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The mom is doing this pretty much to just the male kitten. We are planning on keeping the babies and they are being spayed/neutered in two weeks per vet’s recommendation. Until yesterday Mom was playing with all four off and on.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, so it increases the probability its mostly the separation process.
The mom is doing this pretty much to just the male kitten. We are planning on keeping the babies and they are being spayed/neutered in two weeks per vet’s recommendation. Until yesterday Mom was playing with all four off and on.

Sadiekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So keeping them apart as a rule and re-introduce them slowly you think would help?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So keeping them apart as a rule and re-introduce them slowly you think would help?
Yes, pretty much pretend that the Mom doesn’t know the kittens. I’d give her a few weeks to get all the hormones out of her system and get the kittens spayed/neutered before reintroduction. Just to eliminate all possible biological problem areas first.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes esp with the male. But he will get neutered soon? I expect the active pursuing as now will lessen afterwards.
Not even a trace of male hormones.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What exactly is mom doing to the kittens that seems aggressive?

She is probably just disciplining her kittens.

This is the age where mom cats do quite a bit of disciplining of their kittens so they learn manners. It can appear that she is being “mean”.

I’m not sure the family should be separated. They need to work through this. Mom can surely go off to a quiet place if she wants a break from her kittens.

Do they still nurse her?

Sadiekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we have a mom cat that adopted us. Kittens are now 10 weeks old and mom is acting agressively all of a sudden to litter. She was fixed two weeks ago. Suggestions?
I have a new problem: All of a sudden in the middle of the night the kittens (3 year old litter mates who never been separated) got into a tiff with hissing and such. One of them (Midget) hid around 3 am and continued hiding under the couch. The others are a bit wary of her. She is continuing to hiss and screach with ears back. There doesn’t seem to be any injury. Your thoughts?

Sadiekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What exactly is mom doing to the kittens that seems aggressive?

She is probably just disciplining her kittens.

This is the age where mom cats do quite a bit of disciplining of their kittens so they learn manners. It can appear that she is being “mean”.

I’m not sure the family should be separated. They need to work through this. Mom can surely go off to a quiet place if she wants a break from her kittens.

Do they still nurse her?
[/I have a new problem: All of a sudden in the middle of the night the kittens (3 year old litter mates who never been separated) got into a tiff with hissing and such. One of them (Midget) hid around 3 am and continued hiding under the couch. The others are a bit wary of her. She is continuing to hiss and screach with ears back. There doesn’t seem to be any injury. Your thoughts?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m confused. Is this the same litter or a different set of cats?