Queen And Kittens

TRAD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I started feeding a stray cat a few months ago. She is good with me but will not let anyone else pet her. I didn't realize she was pregnant until 3 weeks ago when she gave birth to 4 kittens. I have them in a plastic, low sided container in a quiet space in my den. She is a great mom but now the kittens are starting to attempt to climb over the sides. I need something that will keep them contained but allow the mom to go in and out. I don't want to spend a lot of money because I am not planning on keeping them. As soon as they are old enough, I will be adopting them out. Any suggestions?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would close them in a small, kitten-proof room. That way they can explore in a safe area.

Do you plan to spay mom? Will you be keeping her?

Kittens should stay with mom until they are 10-12 weeks at least.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TRAD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would close them in a small, kitten-proof room. That way they can explore in a safe area.

Do you plan to spay mom? Will you be keeping her?

Kittens should stay with mom until they are 10-12 weeks at least.
I don't have a small, kitten-proof room that would also allow the mom to be able to get in to nurse. I am going to spay mom but am not planning on keeping her.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You would close mom in with them. In that room, she would have litter box, food, and water. Is that doable?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, for the moment you can have a deeper box for them to contain the kittens. But in another week or two, they will jump out of anything you can make. A big dog cage will contain them better, BUT its no life for a kitten. So a whole room, as suggested above, is best.
Adopting out at 8+ weeks, not earlier... Unless you DO have them in a crate....