Pus In 2week old eye

saresjcw02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've never taken care of kittens... this litter is 2 weeks old and one of them has pus oozing out its poor little eye :-( Do I separate her from the others until I can get her in to the vet?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, just continue to gently wipe the affected eye with a warm damp cloth so that it does not get crusty. Eye infections are common in tiny kittens, and they are cured with terramycin, which is an antibiotic eye ointment that is smeared across the eyes 2-3 times a day and works quickly to cure.

Terramycin is available from your vet, or online without a prescription from Amazon or Chewy.

In the meantime, make a cup of black tea and clean the eye with a cloth soaked in the tea. This is a home tip that helps until you get your tube of terramycin! :lovecat2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saresjcw02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! I will put her back with the others. She's only been separated for about 20 minutes, but really misses her littermates!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saresjcw02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know someone local to me who has some terramycin, yay! I just got really worried when I saw the pus. Baby's gaining well and is otherwise healthy, thank goodness! I will continue to monitor closely and clean up her eye with a warm cloth (using black tea!). Thanks again! It's wonderful and worrisome being a caretaker with a mama cat! Lucky the mama is such a good mama and very attentive and caring to her babies 💕

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That’s wonderful to hear! I hope baby’s eye is clear soon. We’re here if you have any more questions! 😊