purina

Papaganu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found the wet food she likes but its not the best its called friskies from Purina I hear many bad reviews on Purina...they are like the big pharma for cats...just to make money but unfortunately its the wet food she likes...I grabbed one can for 1$ and it seems that she likes it I am on my way home with a new wet food called blue I post pictures if she likes it that is better cause local healthy pet shop suggest this:

But I dont know is she will like it as much as the friskies u guys give purina to your cats?

Attachments

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found the wet food she likes but its not the best its called friskies from Purina I hear many bad reviews on Purina...they are like the big pharma for cats...just to make money but unfortunately its the wet food she likes...I grabbed one can for 1$ and it seems that she likes it I am on my way home with a new wet food called blue I post pictures if she likes it that is better cause local healthy pet shop suggest this:

But I dont know is she will like it as much as the friskies u guys give purina to your cats?
Look at the ingredients, if some kind of meat is not the first ingredient then it's not a good food, and if any kind of plant based ingredient (including carageenan, agar agar, and various gums) is in not in the under 2% section it's not a good food.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friskies is nutritionally balanced and complete. That already makes it better than the chicken breast. And your worst wet food will still be better than your best dry food based on the lack of moisture and excess of nonsense carb ingredients in dry food. In short, you can do worse than Friskies. Keep that as your foundation food. As I said before, it's better she feasts at McDonald's than starves at Whole Foods. A higher quality food makes no difference if she won't eat it.

Try other foods too. You have her lifetime to figure out perfect foods. For now, if she'll eat the Friskies, let her have it. You might mix the Friskies with other foods to see if you can convince her to branch out. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Papaganu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know her tricks; so she likes fancy feast in gravy wich smell really delicious even with human nose xD they say its for picky cats and it usually come in small cans.

So I wake up I do my routine I stay with her 10 minutes feeding her the can scope by scope because if I put everything she's going to leave half of it I must keep her intrigued so scoop by scoop she finished the whole can I leave few few dry food pieces I come back I add a little bit of dry food and treats that's it and every morning again one can a day 10 minutes of my time I stay with her scoop by scoop until she finish her fancy feasts and the evening she gets dry food and treats how about that
With purina it worked but I dont believe in Nestlé tomorrow ill be trying this technique with another better wet food bran we will see.

Attachments

Papaganu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Look at the ingredients, if some kind of meat is not the first ingredient then it's not a good food, and if any kind of plant based ingredient (including carageenan, agar agar, and various gums) is in not in the under 2% section it's not a good food.

Purina dont have real meat it says crude protein bit this one it says real fish and chicken meet lets hope she likes this one ill make sure she sleep empty stomach so she wake up hungry

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Purina dont have real meat it says crude protein
No, that's the guaranteed analysis which just tells you the mininum or maximum nutrtrient content of the food. Look at the ingredient list that follows the guaranteed analysis. The first ingredient listed is chicken broth then it goes on to list the following: chicken, liver, wheat gluten, meat by-products, corn starch-modified, artificial and natural flavors, salt, tricalcium phosphate, soy protein concentrate... [list of vitamins and minerals]

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t feed treats as a regular part of her diet. I know you want to spoil her. But treats should be just that. A treat. Use them for training. Use them for medicine. Use them for rewards like returning home from the vet or sitting still for nail clipping. But try not to make them an “essential” part of her diet. When the treats are rare, their power over her will be greater. If she gets the treats on the regular, you’re going to have to work that much harder to bribe or reward her as needed. Also treats often have nonsense ingredients (starches, grains, even sugars, corn starch, gums, etc) that make them more desirable and less healthful.

Papaganu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, that's the guaranteed analysis which just tells you the mininum or maximum nutrtrient content of the food. Look at the ingredient list that follows the guaranteed analysis. The first ingredient listed is chicken broth then it goes on to list the following: chicken, liver, wheat gluten, meat by-products, corn starch-modified, artificial and natural flavors, salt, tricalcium phosphate, soy protein concentrate... [list of vitamins and minerals]
Ah yess true well she like more purina than this one same quantity but she did not finish the blue one T_T I guess ill stick with one purina can a day
At least we found her food. Can you guys tell me how do u find your cat? How many cans a day?
I wouldn’t feed treats as a regular part of her diet. I know you want to spoil her. But treats should be just that. A treat. Use them for training. Use them for medicine. Use them for rewards like returning home from the vet or sitting still for nail clipping. But try not to make them an “essential” part of her diet. When the treats are rare, their power over her will be greater. If she gets the treats on the regular, you’re going to have to work that much harder to bribe or reward her as needed. Also treats often have nonsense ingredients (starches, grains, even sugars, corn starch, gums, etc) that make them more desirable and less healthful.
Yeh I knew I was giving random treats all the time 🤣 Dont worry ill make sure she knows she deserve it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you've said in your other posts, but how old is she? How much does she weigh? Is she spayed? Does she go outside?

Most neutered indoor cats of average size can get by on 1 of the 5.5-oz cans or 2 of the 3-oz cans per day (paté-type food only; the shreds/chunks have fewer calories so it would be different for those). If they eat some dry food that'll decrease how much canned food they need too.

Papaganu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you've said in your other posts, but how old is she? How much does she weigh? Is she spayed? Does she go outside?

Most neutered indoor cats of average size can get by on 1 of the 5.5-oz cans or 2 of the 3-oz cans per day (paté-type food only; the shreds/chunks have fewer calories so it would be different for those). If they eat some dry food that'll decrease how much canned food they need too.
Ok so I give her a can the morning or less if she decide to finish ( I can't leave unfinished wet food in fridge she wont like it later cause its no longer fresh )
I leave few dry food before I leave and that is it
Yesterday I gave her dry food later at night that is why she didnt finish her can this morning it makes sens..now I wont give her anything until tomorrow morning thank you sir .
She is not spayed ( in 3 month she will be)
She is around 3 years old when I adopted her in July 2019 and no she doesn't go out. Not yet

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At least we found her food. Can you guys tell me how do u find your cat? How many cans a day?

Most people feed by how many calories the cat needs daily, roughly 20 to 25 calories per pound of body weight daily. This may mean three or four 3 oz cans or one entire 5.5oz can plus a little more. Cans vary in calorie content. The label will list calorie content as kcal.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To make the math easy, let’s take the lower end of 20 calories per lbs. Or 200 calories for every 10 lbs of cat. A 3 oz can of Fancy Feast pate is 100 calories (96 but close enough to make the math work.) But that grilled and flaked cans you’re showing are going to be less calorie dense than pate. The flaked says 80 calories for that can. The grilled is probably similar. You would need to feed 2.5 cans for every 200 calories. This math assumes all wet food diet. Dry food is very calorie dense. You’ll have to adjust how much wet you serve if you’re also feeding dry.

Cats like warm prey more than cold leftovers. But you can trick them. If you spoon the food from the can to a plastic baggie and then warm that food up so it’s lukewarm or at least not cold by running that baggie under hot water for a minute or two. Once warmed up, you can turn it out onto a plate. Yes. It is more time and labor intensive. If you do it for every meal, she won’t know which meal was fresh from the can and which was the leftover. They’ll all be warmed up. She’s going to like her food much better. You can rinse and reuse the plastic baggies a few times before recycling them if you’re concerned about waste.

Papaganu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To make the math easy, let’s take the lower end of 20 calories per lbs. Or 200 calories for every 10 lbs of cat. A 3 oz can of Fancy Feast pate is 100 calories (96 but close enough to make the math work.) But that grilled and flaked cans you’re showing are going to be less calorie dense than pate. The flaked says 80 calories for that can. The grilled is probably similar. You would need to feed 2.5 cans for every 200 calories. This math assumes all wet food diet. Dry food is very calorie dense. You’ll have to adjust how much wet you serve if you’re also feeding dry.

Cats like warm prey more than cold leftovers. But you can trick them. If you spoon the food from the can to a plastic baggie and then warm that food up so it’s lukewarm or at least not cold by running that baggie under hot water for a minute or two. Once warmed up, you can turn it out onto a plate. Yes. It is more time and labor intensive. If you do it for every meal, she won’t know which meal was fresh from the can and which was the leftover. They’ll all be warmed up. She’s going to like her food much better. You can rinse and reuse the plastic baggies a few times before recycling them if you’re concerned about waste.
Wow that is an awesome trick! Cause when I feed her the blue can wish is 5oz she never finish it and when I leave her wet food in fridge hoping she like it later NO she know from the smell its no good anymore! Maybe if I warm it? If it works ill be more than happy! Cause every morning I feed her half and the other half I throw..and these days I dont even feed her dry...I just want her to finish one ca per day but she is so small I guess half a can a day is all she needs but I am seriously trying to make her finish at least one can a day! I fed her this morning now I wont feed her until next morning!
I want her to know she needs to finish a can a day
Your trick might work!
Thank you

Papaganu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And even before adopting her they said she dont eat alote...maybe some cats are like that?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You really should feed her more than once a day. Cats in the wild would feed up to 10 times a day. And their prey is often half the size of a 3 oz can. It could be that a whole can at one meal is just too much for her and that she isn’t feeling much like eating when dinner comes around. If warming the food works, I would empty two cans into a container in the morning that you’ll store in the fridge. Serve small amounts from that container, warmed up—use baggie in hot water, not the microwave. Plate a serving of about half a can four times a day. Two breakfasts and two dinners would work if you’re not home for midday meals. If you press the food flat in the baggie before running under the water, it will warm up faster.