Purina One Confusion

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought that feeding the cats Purina One which is more nutritious then Friskies and definitely more so than Kit N Kaboodle would slow down their eating and they wouldn't eat as much. Sopdet is now eating too fast and too much at one time, causing her to throw up. Neither cat uses these food puzzle things and the slow eater dishes they walk away from. I am at wits end. First it was Treasure and now it's Sopdet. I don't know what to do now. Suggestions?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Feed many times a day small portions if possible. Especially late night. My cat eats slower than she used too. No more throwing up. One problem with dry food is that they can gobble it up fast

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed a handful every 2 hours which equals to her daily allotment. She's a tiny cat weighs only 8 lbs but vet said she's ok weight since she was most likely the runt of the litter.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try putting it on a plate instead of in a bowl. That slows them down without being too frustrating like a puzzle bowl. Or scatter it on the ground if you're comfortable with that.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 'scarf-n-barfer.' Most of the time, it's in the morning when he's so hungry from not eating overnight. I started giving all the cats a few treats when they wake me up (I keep the treats in the nightstand). I feed them their regular morning meal a little later when I get up. It has helped with the barfing, presumably because it takes the edge off their hunger so they don't bolt down their food so fast. I usually give them a couple treats late just before bedtime for the same reason.

I still have to supervise mealtimes so one doesn't pig down the other's food. Perhaps what I do for my cats will work in your case.