Psyllium Husk And Hairballs (my Cat Has Ckd)

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been giving my moggy 1/8 a teaspoon of psyllium husk in his food (wet food + water) to prevent hairballs. Apparently, psyllium husk is already included in his commercial wet food ( Hill Science K/D), so I'm concerned about giving him more. I've also been grooming him regularly and adding fish oil to his diet. However, after 1 1/2 weeks of giving him psyllium husk he has still been coughing and coughed up a hairball yesterday. Is 1/8 a teaspoon too little? Is psyllium husk safe for CKD cats? I read that it's not recommended for human CKD patients because it's high in magnesium. It's hard to find info on how much potassium and phosphorus is in psyllium husk.
Thanks!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you thought of giving salmon oil to your kitty. It is said to be beneficial to cats with kidney issues and helps with hairballs. I put one squirt a day on the food of my cat who is long haired. Many dry foods now contain Psyllium as an ingredient and I have read that it becomes ineffective with long term use.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Everything I've found (google) says to work up to 1/4 teaspoon for hairballs. You may need to call the manufacturer of your particular brand of psyllium husk to find out about the % of potassium, phos and magnesium in it.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Edit:

If I remember correctly, taking psyllium husk require to have lots of water intake.

Psyllium husk absorbs water, better to have enough water so that the digestive tract is optimally hydrated. Sometimes consuming too much fiber without enough water can cause digestive discomfort.

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When one of my cats had an issue I contacted a vet employed with a cat food manufacturer using Psyllium in their product. I was told that it is not absorbed into the intestines but forms a gel like substance therefore helps ease the passing of hard stools so is good for constipation. Also it binds the poop together in the case of diarrhoea. Hope this is useful.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve been experimenting with egg yolk for hairball management. Unfortunately, so far, it’s proven to be a powerful laxative for my Krista. I have not yet tried the egg yolk powder.
How Best to Manage Hairballs

One thing that did work for my Krista was digestive enzymes. But she stopped wanting to eat food with it about two or three weeks ago. And has since had two hairballs. :( I’m trying a new brand (Prozyme) but it could take a week or two to know if it’s working.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’ve been experimenting with egg yolk for hairball management. Unfortunately, so far, it’s proven to be a powerful laxative for my Krista. I have not yet tried the egg yolk powder.
How Best to Manage Hairballs

One thing that did work for my Krista was digestive enzymes. But she stopped wanting to eat food with it about two or three weeks ago. And has since had two hairballs. :( I’m trying a new brand (Prozyme) but it could take a week or two to know if it’s working.
One problem with egg yolk, and I suspect egg yolk powder as well, is that it's high in phosphorus, which is not good for a kidney cat. I use it as well, and would have suggested it except this IS for a kidney cat.

I'm curious about the digestive enzyme working as a hairball "helper". I used to use Prozyme for my furkids, but they reject any food now that has it in it. I'm wondering if they changed their formula or something. They actually started rejecting it a couple years ago. BUT, none the less, it works for hairballs? Good to know.

RUkitten?

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One problem with egg yolk, and I suspect egg yolk powder as well, is that it's high in phosphorus, which is not good for a kidney cat. I use it as well, and would have suggested it except this IS for a kidney cat.

I'm curious about the digestive enzyme working as a hairball "helper". I used to use Prozyme for my furkids, but they reject any food now that has it in it. I'm wondering if they changed their formula or something. They actually started rejecting it a couple years ago. BUT, none the less, it works for hairballs? Good to know.

Feeding enzyme supplements comes with risk It sounds like your cats have figured out it is irritating their esphagus and or stomach. I had a bad experience with several of my pets and what i fear may be permanent damage to my own GI tract when we all took the same enzyme supplement.

feel it is a better idea to offer fresh food with enzymes intact., if posssible.