Prolapse

Jordan0721

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone! I’m new here but am desperate for some direct input. I just adopted a new kitten who is around 10 weeks old. At the shelter he was started on dewormers and had diarrhea RIGHT before I adopted him. The diarrhea continued through the weekend and I took him to the vet this previous Monday (august 2nd). The vet prescribed the antibiotic Albon to treat his diarrhea. After starting the medicine, I noticed that he gets a very mild prolapse after using the litter box. It resolves itself within minutes. He doesn’t appear to be straining or in pain... I’m more or less looking for comfort. I am extremely stressed out to the point of crying about this. It seems to come and go and not happen every single trip to the litter box. Is this normal for some cats? What can I do to help him? What could be causing this? I take him to the vet in a week and I am sick with worry. Any and all advice/input is welcome!! Thank you!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Our forumists do report sometimes of this. Usually it become OK as soon the problem; ie the diarrhea, gets better.
So surgery is seldom needed.

Of course, you wont want for him to get constipation either. Because with constipation it may get even worse.

Albon takes its time before it works in full on the problems.
During the time, you can always give him some probiotic; say BeneBac is good. Or even some nice full fat unsweetened youghurt.
Goats milk is too a good, healthy nourishment. Especielly if you can find raw goats milk.

Also, if he has diarrhea so he loses salts. So aside of extra fluid, give him extra salts.
Its easiest with pedialyte. Or minerale water where you let the gases out. but you can begin with sprinkle a little kitchen salt...

Or take some rice, take some salt; double up of what you would otherwise have in the rice; thrice of the usual water; and boil it thrice the usual time.
And let him have the fluid resulting....
Its a terrific pedialyte for those with diarrhea, cats or humans.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think that once his diarrhea subsides and his poops are formed but not hard, and he adjusts to his food he should be okay. What are you feeding him? Has he finished the Albon yet?

It’s his sphincter muscles hard at work when he is pooping or straining. A prolapse never goes back in and kittens are often born with a prolapse that is obvious and requires surgical repair. This does not sound like the case here.

Try to relax and enjoy your kitten and keep us posted! :catlove:

J Jordan0721

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jordan0721

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think that once his diarrhea subsides and his poops are formed but not hard, and he adjusts to his food he should be okay. What are you feeding him? Has he finished the Albon yet?

It’s his sphincter muscles hard at work when he is pooping or straining. A prolapse never goes back in and kittens are often born with a prolapse that is obvious and requires surgical repair. This does not sound like the case here.

Try to relax and enjoy your kitten and keep us posted! :catlove:

J Jordan0721
Thank you so much for your response! It really has helped. He took his last dose of Albon yesterday. He hasn’t had diarrhea all week, could he be constipated instead due to the antibiotic? How can I prevent prolapse if he’s constipated? I am feeding him dry food with warm water mixed in.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since he’s only 10 weeks old, he would benefit from adding wet cat food (Fancy Feast chicken pate styles are excellent) to his diet. I would feed him half a 3-ounce can 4 times a day and leave dry food and fresh water down 24/7 for in-between.

The wet food should help him poop, and you can even add a couple drops of olive oil to it to help move his bowels. It may be all the dry food that makes him strain to poop. Wet food is much better for cats in general than dry food.

J Jordan0721

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Discontinue the dry food, and get a good quality canned cat food and start to gradually transition the food. Also forte flora ( probiotic) would help. Haagen his stool checked for additional parasites as they don’t always shed.

Jordan0721

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your input!

Jordan0721

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since he’s only 10 weeks old, he would benefit from adding wet cat food (Fancy Feast chicken pate styles are excellent) to his diet. I would feed him half a 3-ounce can 4 times a day and leave dry food and fresh water down 24/7 for in-between.

The wet food should help him poop, and you can even add a couple drops of olive oil to it to help move his bowels. It may be all the dry food that makes him strain to poop. Wet food is much better for cats in general than dry food.

J Jordan0721
Thank you! I will begin the switch to wet food.