Problem

Gates

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need help I don’t know what’s going on with my cat? He eats a lot of wet food and doesn’t drink water that much and he has constipation issues. It’s really getting me worried because he’s never done this in his life until now. He did it two months ago and he had complications just today

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Canned food provides plenty of moisture on its own. Some people like to add extra water to ensure good hydration.

Constipation can be caused by any number of things not enough fiber, gastrointestinal issue, etc. A trip to the vet would be best. You can call and see if the vet would be able to suggest something over the phone. Adding plain canned pumpkin to the food or using Miralax are common suggestions.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Did you by any chance change his food? If so, check the ingredients of the 'new' food vs. the 'old' food to see what might be attributing to the constipation. Even if you haven't changed the food, the food itself might have been changed in terms of ingredients, so compare what is in the food now to what was in it before (if you can).

What did you do a couple of months ago when this happened? Did you determine the cause?

Is there anything else out of the ordinary going on? How old is he? The older the cat, the more likely it could be health related.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gates

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Did you by any chance change his food? If so, check the ingredients of the 'new' food vs. the 'old' food to see what might be attributing to the constipation. Even if you haven't changed the food, the food itself might have been changed in terms of ingredients, so compare what is in the food now to what was in it before (if you can).

What did you do a couple of months ago when this happened? Did you determine the cause?

Is there anything else out of the ordinary going on? How old is he? The older the cat, the more likely it could be health related.
I tried to go to the clinic today and they told me they weren’t accepting any clients and I’m really worried about my cat. I added more water to his wet food to prevent this problem and it worked but unfortunately my mom told me to stop doing that to him and I did. I had to add more wet food again and I know my cat has a problem with not drinking enough water, my cat is six years old. He runs around the house and jumps and he doesn’t show a sign that he’s struggling or anything. My cat used to eat this poor dry food brand and I quickly switched it to wet food just recently.

Gates

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Canned food provides plenty of moisture on its own. Some people like to add extra water to ensure good hydration.

Constipation can be caused by any number of things not enough fiber, gastrointestinal issue, etc. A trip to the vet would be best. You can call and see if the vet would be able to suggest something over the phone. Adding plain canned pumpkin to the food or using Miralax are common suggestions.
I tried going to the clinic today but they weren’t accepting more clients unfortunately. My cat doesn’t show a sign that he’s struggling just bathroom issues and I avoided that problem by adding water to wet food but I had to add water back to his wet food since he also has issues by refusing to drink water.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I added more water to his wet food to prevent this problem and it worked but unfortunately my mom told me to stop doing that to him and I did.
If adding water to his wet food worked before, start doing it again. Explain to your mom why you are doing it, I can't imagine that if she understands your reasoning why she would object.

For now, if you really think there is an issue - enough for you to try to go to a clinic, express your concerns to them and give him some MIralax. You can ask the clinic to at least offer a suggestion as to how much to give him.

Gates

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If adding water to his wet food worked before, start doing it again. Explain to your mom why you are doing it, I can't imagine that if she understands your reasoning why she would object.

For now, if you really think there is an issue - enough for you to try to go to a clinic, express your concerns to them and give him some MIralax. You can ask the clinic to at least offer a suggestion as to how much to give him.
I started adding water to wet food, my cat doesn’t drink water at all so that’s probably why and I manage to convince my mom. Thank you for your help, I’m going to buy Mlralax and add pumpkin to his food to help him.