Problem Holding Down Food

Thebyrdking

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had Molly for 5 years now. Started out ignorant & free feeding her cheap cat food. She got tubby & wold throw up on a regular basis (1st cause) and about 2-3 years ago, I bought a cat feeder and switched over to grain free, salmon first food. Had it portioned out 4 times a day because she scarfs her food down to fast and throws it up (2nd cause). She threw up maybe 1-3 times a week for a couple years, but got down to a healthy weight & happier temperament. She always seems perfectly happy and healthy except for this issue. I tried a few different grain free cat foods & then I finally realized it must not be the speed she is eating alone so I switched once more to raw food. I've tried many things over the past few weeks. Raw salmon (barf), cooked salmon (barf), raw tilapia (No barf, but she has lost her desire and will just stare at it), cooked tilapia (barf),& cooked eggs (barf). She turns down liver in any form & she wont eat ground beef. I cooked a Cornish hen and blended up the meat, skin, and some of the softer bones in a blender with some raw beef chuck roast and she absolutely went nuts over it, but two days in a row she thew up a few hours after her meal. I went to Walmart yesterday and bought her some grain free, salmon first wet cat food, she threw this up before she finished 1/3 of her portioning. The curious thing is that raw steak of the quality you would cook for your dinner seems to be the only thing that does not upset her stomach and that she constantly likes. Cooked chicken also does not make her throw up, but she is hesitant to eat it. What are your thoughts? What would you do? Do you think she has an underlying health issue or do I just have a spoiled, picky cat? If shes just picky, i cant only feed her stake forever, right? I would think it does not contain all the vitamins and nutrients she need to live. Thanks!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd take the cat to the vet first to rule out any underlying medical issue that is causing the daily vomiting. How old is your cat?

No, cooked meat on it's own is not a complete diet for cats but if you add in a pre-mix supplement, it will become a complete diet. Some popular pre-mixes are EZComplete and UStew. There is a forum here on TCS with more info on home cooked diets and supplements to use: Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food Some cats have food sensitivities to things common in commercial cat foods and the only thing that helps is a raw or home cooked diet. If beef (steak) agrees with your cat's stomach, then she may have a sensitivity to chicken and other proteins. But it's odd that ground beef:headscratch: (cooked, I assumed?) causes your cat to vomit.

Have you tried elevating the food bowl? Sometimes that helps food go down easier and minimizes vomiting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thebyrdking

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd take the cat to the vet first to rule out any underlying medical issue that is causing the daily vomiting. How old is your cat?

No, cooked meat on it's own is not a complete diet for cats but if you add in a pre-mix supplement, it will become a complete diet. Some popular pre-mixes are EZComplete and UStew. There is a forum here on TCS with more info on home cooked diets and supplements to use: Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food Some cats have food sensitivities to things common in commercial cat foods and the only thing that helps is a raw or home cooked diet. If beef (steak) agrees with your cat's stomach, then she may have a sensitivity to chicken and other proteins. But it's odd that ground beef:headscratch: (cooked, I assumed?) causes your cat to vomit.

Have you tried elevating the food bowl? Sometimes that helps food go down easier and minimizes vomiting.
Thanks for the reply! I certainly will go to the vet just to make sure. The beef given to her is raw and does not make her throw up. Ground beef doesn't cause barf but she refuses it. Maybe steak + the premix will be what she needs on the daily?!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat with a sensitive tummy eats rawz chicken, Turkey, and duck. Never fish. She used to throw up her food 4x a week. Now once a month

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Raw ground meat isn't generally recommended to give to cats. Whole cuts of meat like steak is fine. You can ask more about that on the Raw and Home Cooked forum along with any other question you have about which pre-mix to use, raw vs cooked, etc.