Probiotics for IBD

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat (currently age 11) does not have IBD, but he's been a frequent vomiter throughout his life, as well as being prone to diarrhea/constipation if his diet is not just right. I had him on probiotics for a number of years.

I used this one for a couple of years (let me know if this link doesn't work; sometimes I have trouble with Amazon links on this forum):

Pet Ultimates Probiotics for Cats
Amazon.com

It did help with his vomiting. HOWEVER, he eventually had a resurgence of vomiting and it stopped working. It's possible that the formulation of this product changed at the time, as the label also changed. I can't be sure as this was a few years ago. We made a dietary change after that, and I haven't used probiotics since.

So, I haven't used this product for a few years now, but at one point it was a huge help for my cat over the span of multiple years. Take that for what you will.

Edit: I don't know what kind of food your cat eats, but when mine was on this probiotic, he was on a mostly dry-food diet. It took a long time for me to get him onto any wet food.

I mixed powdered probiotics with his dry food by placing the food into a tupperware container with a scoop of the powder, covering it, and shaking it up vigorously so all the pieces of kibble were coated.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This web site, although titled as if it were for raw feeding only, applies to most IBD cats on any kind of diet. I have included the link to the section that talks about probiotics and prebiotics. Prebiotics & Probiotics for Cats: Healing Inflammation and gut dysbiosis - Raw Feeding for IBD Cats
And here is another web site for IBD cats that discusses probiotics as well. Probiotics – IBDKitties

Aside from that, members on this site often mention s. boulardii, and the two brands I have seen referenced are Jarrow and NOW.

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might look at the probiotics and other supplements from Adored Beast. We use Gut Soothe with our guy.