Preventative Measures

Binxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For those of you that care for feral cats is there anything beyond food that you give them routinely to boost the immune system, specifically something that you could add to the food that would be accepted. In March, the feral that I feed had a bad respiratory infection, I noticed he was coughing and it developed into nasty eye and nasal discharge, he disappeared for 4 days and I thought for sure he had died but then he reappeared and things had improved and he gradually recovered. Winter is coming where I am and I want to do what I can to help him be as healthy as possible. I have tried to trap him without success, he will not allow me to get any closer than about 10 feet from him, unless my storm door is between us, so touching is out of the question and my vet will not dispense medication without having examined the cat, so should he become ill again I would not be able to get him any medication, so I want to do what I can to make sure he is as healthy as possible.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, L-lysine, while somewhat controversial is something to consider as well for an immune boost.
I have used L-lyseine and have a few boarders that take it as well.
I have not had any experience with DMG, and am very interested to learn more. di and bob di and bob , this is incredibly interesting to me! Do you cycle on and off the DMG and/or the Life Gold for a few days here and there, or do you use it daily?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use it daily. .5 or 1/2 ML in a liquid treat once a day. The LifeGold is one drop for every two lbs of weight. When my cats first got diagnosed I did some research on leukemia, (it was very discouraging, everything pointed to death) and many sites said DMG was the thing to use.So far so good! I have never had any luck with L-lysine, they still got their bouts of feline herpes. that stopped when i started with the DMG.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those of you that care for feral cats is there anything beyond food that you give them routinely to boost the immune system, specifically something that you could add to the food that would be accepted. In March, the feral that I feed had a bad respiratory infection, I noticed he was coughing and it developed into nasty eye and nasal discharge, he disappeared for 4 days and I thought for sure he had died but then he reappeared and things had improved and he gradually recovered. Winter is coming where I am and I want to do what I can to help him be as healthy as possible. I have tried to trap him without success, he will not allow me to get any closer than about 10 feet from him, unless my storm door is between us, so touching is out of the question and my vet will not dispense medication without having examined the cat, so should he become ill again I would not be able to get him any medication, so I want to do what I can to make sure he is as healthy as possible.
My outdoors are all inside now. They mostly did well. Two passed away sadly when I tried to save them, Jezibel had aggressive cancer and we were not sure with Giorgio… they were both older. Giorgio had been around for many years.

I never gave them any supplements, I tried with Jezibel for her sniffles at some point but it was hard to get her to eat the right dish. When I sprinkled it on all the others didn't like them.

You could try mixing various supplements in their food etc. I never gave my Wizard who was fiv plus any because they made him vomit. Fred and Cinnamon who now inside are also fiv plus… I don’t supplement them either and they are doing well.

The best thing you can do is to give them heated, insulated shelters to help keep them warm.