Pretty litter- safe to use or it causes cancer??

philduncan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All,

My question is about possible side-effects of Pretty Litter when ingested rather than inhaled.

I have been a big fan of Pretty Litter and have been subscribed to 24 bag shipments and used it in 6 Litter Robots for years, but am now debating a return to only unscented clay litter -- maybe just paranoia. :)

Background: We have one cat, Maria, (out of 60+) who was sequestered in a large private room for about 3 years and was provided Pretty Litter exclusively because she had previously presented repeatedly with urinary issues ultimately attributed to stress. Urinary dry food and isolation from the general population solved that issue. Over the past 2 years in her private room she has had very consistent bowel movement frequency and firmness, but with occasional diarrhea for a day or two even though her diet remained the same.

These periodic bouts of diarrhea caused me to ponder why she would suddenly experience diarrhea with no change in food or circumstances. I began to wonder if ingestion of Pretty Litter might be the cause. ???

Maria was 9.5 years old and about two weeks ago she ceased eating and ceased meowing and was visibly declining daily. She was still drinking. After 3 vet visits over a 10 day period, eventual hospitalization, $2500 of tests, x-rays, etc. there was no conclusive diagnosis. She declined daily while hospitalized even after a feeding tube was installed and iv fluids and antibiotics administered. (All that seemed to accelerate her decline, but it may have been coincidence. I think the fluid accumulation mentioned in the necropsy was vet caused by too high administration rate. That is another story with this vet)

She declined until the vet insisted on euthanisia.

I submitted Maria for a necropsy and findings are below.

She is survived by her mom and two sisters who are all healthy in their respective homes.

Her passing from lymphoma compels me to contemplate any possible contributing factors that she was exposed to that no other cat in our care has been exposed to and only one is evident - exclusive use of Pretty Litter for her. All other cats have had clay litter with some Pretty Litter use depending on where they have been located.

I am just exploring whether or not it is likely that the consistent ingestion of Pretty Litter licked off paws, etc. daily for an extended period of time could trigger intestinal issues or cancer.

Informed perspectives will be appreciated.

Necropsy Findings
Animal Identification and External Exam: The body of a 9.1 lbs., adult, female spayed Domestic Shorthair cat in good body
condition and good postmortem condition is necropsied on September 22, 2023.
Musculoskeletal System: No significant findings observed (NSFO).
Respiratory System: The thoracic cavity contains a large amount of red, clear, watery fluid (pleural effusion). The lungs are diffusely
dark purple, contracted, and rubbery (atelectasis). All cut sections of lung float low in formalin.
Circulatory System: NSFO
Digestive System: The abdomen contains a large amount of red, clear, watery fluid (peritoneal effusion). The wall of the distal
jejunum, ileum, and colon is thickened, tan, and firm (lymphoma).
Hepatobiliary System: NSFO
Hemolymphatic System: The spleen is markedly enlarged and pale red with rounded edges (lymphoma). The following lymph nodes
are enlarged, tan, and firm (lymphoma): the ileocecocolic lymph node, several peripancreatic lymph nodes, and a hepatic lymph
node.
Urinary System: NSFO
Reproductive System: NSFO
Endocrine System: NSFO
Special Senses: NSFO
Nervous System: NSFO
Necropsy Diagnosis
Lymphoma.
Comments
The gross changes noted in many of the intra-abdominal lymph nodes, spleen, and distal small intestine are consistent with
lymphoma, and this is considered the cause for the clinical decline of this cat leading up to its euthanasia.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First of all, I'm so sorry for your loss of Maria :rbheart:.

Next, have you seen this other thread, where this very topic is discussed? Pretty litter- safe to use or it causes cancer??

Unfortunately, many cats develop lymphoma, and I don't really think that many pet guardians use Pretty Litter on a consistent basis to be able to say that that would be the cause. It could just have easily been the Urinary dry food that ultimately caused it, or simply bad luck :alright:.

Again, you have my sympathy.