preserving cat fur

Angelhairmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat recently passed away. I saved some of his fur in a small glass jar. At first his fur was fine but today when I opened the jar, his fur smells of mildew. It seems to look pretty good. Does anyone know how to remove the smell without further damaging the texture and appearance?

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for your loss . 💔 maybe just let it air out ? I lost my baby , Bella last July. I bought a necklace on ETSY website that was meant to put ashes in. It's a locket. heart shape with paw prints on it. It says " forever in my heart" and I can have her name engraved on the back (tho I have not, yet) .. in any case, I didn't want to disturb her ashes to put any there. My friend suggested some fur. Great Idea..! so I put some of that in there. I had saved some from a brush ( I brushed her every night. she loved it and always left a lot behind) . With what I had left , I laminated it. I can see her pretty white fur , and no air gets at it. Good luck !! I know how precious it is to you. :alright:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, let the jar remain lidless for a while and put it in the sunlight. I keep my departed cat's fur in a tiny covered glass cat 'basket' that is meant to store a ring. It is not airtight. Every cat that I have had pass that was near and dear to my heart has a tiny lock of hair in there, I want to be buried with it. I think laminating it would be a great idea, although my Chrissy's hair is in there and is fine and it has been in there 9 years now. You might keep some in a nonairtight container so you can feel, touch it, and laminate some too.