Preparation If Cat's Outlive You

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of the younger folks in the group, but you never know what can happen. I have close family nearby who would take care of them, not as good of care as I would like but they’ll be well taken care of regardless.

I’m in GA so if anyone near here (SC, TN, FL, AL as well) needs a godparent for their cats let me know. Even if I couldn’t take them long term myself I would be able to find someplace safe.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
While we are on the subject, it is very important as Furballsmom Furballsmom brought up to have someone who can enter the house, who has keys and an alarm code if that is applicable. This would apply even in the event of another emergency such as a car accident or non-fatal illness or collapse. If you are in an area where there could be a natural disaster when you are not home, that needs to be considered as well. There are various kinds of cards that you can put in your wallet or other places indicating that there are animals alone in the house. Much of this has to be thought through according to an individual's personal situation.

Updating information over the years is also important. Medications, food, health may change. In the event that it would be/becomes better that an ill pet be put to sleep, that should be indicated and probably discussed with the regular vet.

wingwalker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Interesting that this post was on top of my page today. I just made a public post on local facebook groups:

"As a cat rescuer I get calls of all sorts involving cats. But the last two missions stand out as different. Two times in a row I was called to rescue the pets of a person who had passed away. The first case involved 7 cats that had obviously been loved by their owner, a gentleman who had been sick for a while. In the end, he was not able to care for them any more. When I got them, they were severely underweight and flea ridden, one was covered in open sores. Case #2 involved only one cat. The owner had died around Thanksgiving, but only in January it was discovered, that he had owned a cat. This cat is now in critical condition due to prolonged starvation. He requires tube-feeding. My plea to everybody: please check on the elders, the sick ones, the ones living alone! Check on them frequently, and check on the well-being of their pets. Offer help. Don't let anyone die alone and un-noticed! Help them make arrangements for their pets, listen to their wishes. Know the name and vet of the pet(s). If YOU are elderly, sick, or living alone, please reach out for help. There are so many caring people in this community. If you have nobody in your life, feel free to contact me. I will help. Let's prevent more pets from suffering. (note: I don't even know the name of the black cat... I call him "Steven's cat" for now)"

I want to add to this. I found out, both guys were in their early sixties. No idea why they died, but they did. I am in my early fifties, married with no two-legged kids. We started to have conversations with our closest friends about what we would like to happen with our seven cats, should we both become incapacitated in one way or another. We will have a binder with photos and medical records, as well as notes for each cat. While doing this, I am also preparing an emergency kit for disaster preparedness.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting that this post was on top of my page today. I just made a public post on local facebook groups:

"As a cat rescuer I get calls of all sorts involving cats. But the last two missions stand out as different. Two times in a row I was called to rescue the pets of a person who had passed away. The first case involved 7 cats that had obviously been loved by their owner, a gentleman who had been sick for a while. In the end, he was not able to care for them any more. When I got them, they were severely underweight and flea ridden, one was covered in open sores. Case #2 involved only one cat. The owner had died around Thanksgiving, but only in January it was discovered, that he had owned a cat. This cat is now in critical condition due to prolonged starvation. He requires tube-feeding. My plea to everybody: please check on the elders, the sick ones, the ones living alone! Check on them frequently, and check on the well-being of their pets. Offer help. Don't let anyone die alone and un-noticed! Help them make arrangements for their pets, listen to their wishes. Know the name and vet of the pet(s). If YOU are elderly, sick, or living alone, please reach out for help. There are so many caring people in this community. If you have nobody in your life, feel free to contact me. I will help. Let's prevent more pets from suffering. (note: I don't even know the name of the black cat... I call him "Steven's cat" for now)"

I want to add to this. I found out, both guys were in their early sixties. No idea why they died, but they did. I am in my early fifties, married with no two-legged kids. We started to have conversations with our closest friends about what we would like to happen with our seven cats, should we both become incapacitated in one way or another. We will have a binder with photos and medical records, as well as notes for each cat. While doing this, I am also preparing an emergency kit for disaster preparedness.
If I need to,there is independent assisted living for people that can take care of themselves but will have weekly visits to check on and drive you where ever, even sit with you at doctor appts