Premature Kitten concerns

Reruff1978

Powder
Kitten
Purraise
My mama Kat and 1 kitten who is now 8 weeks old. she was born early and weighs about 6oz. I'm having trouble getting her to use the litterbox. I put here in it and she jumps straight back out. I'm not seeing any poop around the house. Her stomach gets hard after she eats her wet food but then goes soft. So I'm not sure if this is a issue or not. So what do I do. Help.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My mama Kat and 1 kitten who is now 8 weeks old. she was born early and weighs about 6oz. I'm having trouble getting her to use the litterbox. I put here in it and she jumps straight back out. I'm not seeing any poop around the house. Her stomach gets hard after she eats her wet food but then goes soft. So I'm not sure if this is a issue or not. So what do I do. Help.
Probably momma is still eating up the poo. Because you arent finding no poo anywhere.

Usually momma stops eating the poo when they begin with real food, but she is perhaps a super momma??

Its good you give her wet food. Its easier to make good wet food than good dry food. Be sure its full fat variation, no funny low fat variation for adult cats whom need loose some weight.

You can also give her goats milk, its always an useful supplement...

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she still nursing? Mama may be still cleaning her up. Is she constipated? Are you sure about that weight?! an 8 week old kitten should weigh between 1-2 lbs. Please weigh her again. Give her all the food she wants several times a day. It is not unusual for a very young kitten to take a while to get used to teh box. But it is instinctive, so she will in time. Give her another week or two. Make sure it is NONCLUMPING litter right now until she is older, kittens eat litter at times and clumping litter can cause an obstruction. Please keep us informed!