Pregnant Tummy

ACLW

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Stella is normally an extremely thin 6 yr old cat which we believe to be pregnant. Since she is normally so thin, she seems to be "showing" quite a bit. When I feel her tummy bulges, they feel firm (even though I estimate that she is 3-4 weeks pregnant). Is this normal?

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you see her breed? Is she an indoor/outdoor cat? Is there a reason she's not spayed? If she's super early on you can get her spayed asap.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Six is on the old side for her to have kittens, but if she is not spayed and goes outside, she is likely pregnant. You can spay / terminate now in the early stages, or after this litter. If you want kittens, see that she eats well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ACLW

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you see her breed? Is she an indoor/outdoor cat? Is there a reason she's not spayed? If she's super early on you can get her spayed asap.
The spay/neuter told us she was too old to be fixed (something about extra risk). She is an indoor cat, so we didn't worry about it after that, but someone left the door to the veranda ajar and now I believe she's pregnant. I was wondering if is normal for her belly to be enlarged and firm since she is normally so tiny and thin.

ACLW

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Six is on the old side for her to have kittens, but if she is not spayed and goes outside, she is likely pregnant. You can spay / terminate now in the early stages, or after this litter. If you want kittens, see that she eats well.
The spay/neuter told us she was too old to be fixed (something about extra risk). She is an indoor cat, so we didn't worry about it after that, but someone left the door to the veranda ajar and now I believe she's pregnant. I was wondering if is normal for her belly to be enlarged and firm since she is normally so tiny and thin.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
TCS is a pro-spay and neuter site. Your cat is NOT too old to be spayed, but an enlarged and firmer belly would generally indicate pregnancy. An x-ray at the vet could confirm this, as there are other medical conditions that could cause similar symptoms but they can also cause death: pyometra or FIP. A vet check might ease your mind.

Last edited:

ACLW

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
TCS is a pro-spay and neuter site. Your cat is NOT too old to be spayed, but an enlarged and firmer belly would generally indicate pregnancy. An x-ray at the vet could confirm this, as there are other medical conditions that could cause similar symptoms but they can also cause death: pyometra or FIP. A vet check might ease your mind.
I wanted to have her spayed. All of my other cats are fixed. She just showed up at our house one day and when I took her to the clinic they said she was too old to spay without great risk. I don't know the specific reasons as to why. I definitely didn't want her to be hurt, so I didn't have another option. She has never been outside since we've had her--that day was just a fluke. I'm just worried about my kitty and was hoping to get some info about her tummy. I will just take her in to the vet. I read that they really couldn't diagnose pregnancy until later. I am confused

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Six is a little old for kittens, though she should be okay; but it surprises me that a vet would say six is too old for a spay. I guess your vet is accustomed to spaying kittens and younger cats.

We had a thread on here awhile back where a 12-year-old cat gave birth to one kitten. She had no milk, so the kitten was bottle fed. The mom died the same year. Cats live longer, healthier lives when they are spayed and vaccinated. Is it possible your cat is even older than six?

There is no pregnancy test for cats, but an ultrasound or x-ray can detect kittens after the 4-5 week mark. Sometimes the vet can detect heartbeats with a stethoscope as well. A vet check would reveal if she is pregnant. If she is not pregnant then she may have a medical issue, but my first instinct since you say she got out is that she is likely pregnant.

Let us know what the vet says, though you may want to find a different vet who thinks differently about spaying an older cat.

ACLW

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Six is a little old for kittens, though she should be okay; but it surprises me that a vet would say six is too old for a spay. I guess your vet is accustomed to spaying kittens and younger cats.

We had a thread on here awhile back where a 12-year-old cat gave birth to one kitten. She had no milk, so the kitten was bottle fed. The mom died the same year. Cats live longer, healthier lives when they are spayed and vaccinated. Is it possible your cat is even older than six?

There is no pregnancy test for cats, but an ultrasound or x-ray can detect kittens after the 4-5 week mark. Sometimes the vet can detect heartbeats with a stethoscope as well. A vet check would reveal if she is pregnant. If she is not pregnant then she may have a medical issue, but my first instinct since you say she got out is that she is likely pregnant.

Let us know what the vet says, though you may want to find a different vet who thinks differently about spaying an older cat.
I have had her 6 years so she is older but I'm not sure how much. I am going to take her to the vet. She is just so small (much smaller than all of my other cats) and so sweet-I don't want anything to happen to her. After whatever this is, is over, I am going to find someone who will spay her

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I understand. You love her and want the best for her no matter what. I would too. Strays are always the sweetest cats. All of my cats were strays or fosters, and I have ten. Let’s be positive and hope for the best. Please let us know what the vet says, and we’re here for you all the way through! It will work out one way or another! 😊

PS: So she must be at least seven. Do you remember if she was a kitten or a fully grown young adult cat when you got her?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She said the vet did not say why in her Post #7. Just cited age.

ACLW

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I understand. You love her and want the best for her no matter what. I would too. Strays are always the sweetest cats. All of my cats were strays or fosters, and I have ten. Let’s be positive and hope for the best. Please let us know what the vet says, and we’re here for you all the way through! It will work out one way or another! 😊

PS: So she must be at least seven. Do you remember if she was a kitten or a fully grown young adult cat when you got her?
It's possible she was older but I'm not sure. She is very tiny--she is dwarfed by my other 4 cats so she may be older than I realize, but the vet didn't give me an age.

Thank you for your help. I have been beside myself worrying about pyrometra since I researched it. I just wondered if a pregnant cat tummy could feel firm, but then it goes soft again. I'm going to get her in to a vet ASAP. It has been hard with all of this Covid mess. Stella is very fearful of anyone besides myself and I couldn't bear to make her go in while I waited in the car. Now I will have to send her in alone. That in itself is liable to give her a panic attack at the very least my poor baby.

Thank you again

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, I have been through this during Covid - sending the cat in without me, and I and my cats hate it too. Vets in my area have begun to ease up a bit though lately and let us in.

Just get her x-rayed first - nothing more. No vaccines, no other tests - just an x-ray to confirm pregnancy. The x-ray will quickly answer the question. And I will say again that the hard/soft tummy thing is most likely from a pregnancy. An x-ray will also give an estimated gestational age of the kittens. Get back to us either way, but if it’s not pregnancy, I’ll give further guidance. I’ll also give further help if it IS pregnancy! 😊

ACLW

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, I have been through this during Covid - sending the cat in without me, and I and my cats hate it too. Vets in my area have begun to ease up a bit though lately and let us in.

Just get her x-rayed first - nothing more. No vaccines, no other tests - just an x-ray to confirm pregnancy. The x-ray will quickly answer the question. And I will say again that the hard/soft tummy thing is most likely from a pregnancy. An x-ray will also give an estimated gestational age of the kittens. Get back to us either way, but if it’s not pregnancy, I’ll give further guidance.
I will, thank you again.
I'm one very concerned cat momma here😔