Pregnant Stray

DDI

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I brought home a pregnant stray on Friday night before Labor Day. She had been living in the drain pipe under the road in front of my office. She had 3 babies on Labor Day. I wasn’t planning to keep her permanently and made an appt at the local humane society to have her vaccinated and spayed and released through their program. They won’t do it until 2 weeks after babies are weaned. So her appt is in mid Nov. But now my daughter and I have grown attached to her (4 weeks later) and want to keep her. She’s very friendly and affectionate. My guess is that she’s someone’s cat that wandered too far from home and got lost. I’m inexperienced with kittens. I’ve found good homes for 2 of them and may end up keeping one of them as well as the Mom. Is it safe to keep her and continue to love on her without knowing her health status. Any advice on caring for cats/kittens would be very appreciated. I’m new at this! Thank you in advance!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is it safe to keep her and continue to love on her without knowing her health status. Any advice on caring for cats/kittens would be very appreciated.
Hi! Bless your hearts!!
This may help, it isn't lengthy but has good info including how to find a good vet;

First-time Cat Owner's Guide

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it should be safe. Do not re-home the kittens until they are 10-12 weeks old. They need mama that long for socialization.

Thank you for giving her a home! :)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
She may be an abandoned pet. Many people adopt a cat but see them as dispensable or tell themselves that the cat can always hunt if they get hungry. You are very kind for helping her and her kittens.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
D DDI -- Please keep us updated! Take her to see a vet. Check up, vacinations, deworming, etc.

Thank you for the rescue!. And as Srthur2 said, the kittens should stay with mom cat until 12 weeks of age. Kittens generally are weened by their eighth week, but they need another 4 weeks with mom cat so she can teach them how to a cat.