Pregnant stray in labor

Lalabloop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My dad started feeding a stray cat last year. She gave birth to a litter of 7. And a couple of months later she gave birth to a litter of 2 kittens. And that is how we ended up with a mini colony. I found out that our local shelter had a TNR program and reached out for help getting them fixed. Unfortunately for us, they came out twice but 3 of the cats were too smart to get trapped. They were going to come out a third time but...covid hit. Two males and 1 female. The female of course got pregnant but she showed up one day bleeding, smaller tummy, and all of a sudden letting me pet her. I couldn't find any kittens and so I took her to the vet and she got antibiotics and pain meds. Kept her indoors for 3 weeks but she got antsy. Also, My mom has COPD, asthma, and is allergic to cats so I can't keep her indoors for long without sequestering my mom to one side of the house. Well then she got pregnant again and I started feeding her kitten food and now she is in labor while I am typing this. She is refusing to let me leave her. I am panicking because I don't have homes lined up for the kittens. My friends don't want cats and I don't want to bring them to a shelter...any advice? Sorry it's so long...venting lol.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry you have not gotten any replies / answers / suggestions before now. Good on you for helping this cat who sees you as a friend and protector. By now, you have a little family, and probably more questions. I wish I had answers but all I have are comments and a suggestion or two.

As you know from your previous experiences with cats making kittens - kittens need to stay with mom cat for about 10 weeks, 12 is better, before going to new homes. So you do have some time before sending them out the door.

If cat and kittens absolutely positively cannot stay with you - obviously your own mother has high priority needs - is there some way to find someone who can foster the little family. They would not keep them as a permanent situation, just until kittens are old enough to adopt out. Ask your veterinarian if they know of any such people or can recommend a shelter with volunteer foster family.

Meanwhile - right now, important, mom cat needs good food and clean water to help her stay healthy while she nurses her kittens. A safe place for them all to stay. Can they stay indoors with you until the situation is - hopefully, soon - resolved?

And do plan, most definitely, to get mom cat spayed when the kittens leave. Or this will just happen again. And again.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you were going to keep them with you for the time being, I assume that you would be buying food or whatever else they need. If someone could foster for you, you could offer to supply the food. I see on Nextdoor around here that people are often willing to foster if a rescue will supply the food, or the individual who is asking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lalabloop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am sorry you have not gotten any replies / answers / suggestions before now. Good on you for helping this cat who sees you as a friend and protector. By now, you have a little family, and probably more questions. I wish I had answers but all I have are comments and a suggestion or two.

As you know from your previous experiences with cats making kittens - kittens need to stay with mom cat for about 10 weeks, 12 is better, before going to new homes. So you do have some time before sending them out the door.

If cat and kittens absolutely positively cannot stay with you - obviously your own mother has high priority needs - is there some way to find someone who can foster the little family. They would not keep them as a permanent situation, just until kittens are old enough to adopt out. Ask your veterinarian if they know of any such people or can recommend a shelter with volunteer foster family.

Meanwhile - right now, important, mom cat needs good food and clean water to help her stay healthy while she nurses her kittens. A safe place for them all to stay. Can they stay indoors with you until the situation is - hopefully, soon - resolved?

And do plan, most definitely, to get mom cat spayed when the kittens leave. Or this will just happen again. And again.
Thanks for replying! The original momma cat was feral so I wasn't around for the births of both litters...this is my first time helping a cat give birth. Since she got pregnant, I've been feeding her Royal canin canned food made for momma cats and kittens. I was trying to get her fixed but our vet was swamped due to the restrictions of covid. They couldn't take a new patient. I would've just kept her in the house till I found another vet to help but she was going crazy staying indoors. Anyway, I named her Floof...she's doing great. She literally finished giving birth about 30 mins ago. At least I think she's done. I will have to find a vet to take them to at some point. So right now there are 6 kittens and I found a home for one. I will be keeping them for the 12 weeks and hopefully I find a home for each of them by then. My mom has agreed to all this. Thanks again for replying...my post was more for venting and I've been googling all these things left and right. (PS: I have 3 dogs.)