Pregnant Stray Cat

Fairyfly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had a 5-6 month old cat show up on our doorstep on May 8th. She was skin and bones and we decided to take her in. A few weeks later, we realized she is pregnant. I’m so anxious for her to deliver. Obviously, we don’t know how far along she is but she is at least 46 days along (that’s how long she’s been with us). I thought she was going to have them last week. Monday I found what I think was mucus plug in her litter box and she had stopped eating that day. She had a few hard contractions in the morning and then nothing the rest of the day. Next day she started eating again and just went back to normal. She has been pacing looking for a place. Today she has eaten but not a lot (she normally eats all day). I also found her in one of the cozy spots I made for her (first time). I sure hope it’s soon. I’m trying to keep an eye out for her, I’m told because she’s so young I might need to help with the first one or two.

Words of encouragement welcome!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the site! I do thank you for taking in this little lost soul- I would imagine she got dumped by an insensitive human.

I would keep in close contact with a vet since she is so young and was in poor health when you met her. The first litter can have complications, so it is better to have an expert by your side.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Most cats actually manage quite well on their own, though it’s nice to have a human around for emergencies. It sounds like your cat is close, and may have had pre-labor pains, but now it may be any day now so keep a close eye out.

Hopefully your cat is a little older than you think she is, but please keep her 100% inside and get her spayed when her kittens are 8 weeks old so she never has to go through this again.

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!

Keep us posted! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fairyfly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most cats actually manage quite well on their own, though it’s nice to have a human around for emergencies. It sounds like your cat is close, and may have had pre-labor pains, but now it may be any day now so keep a close eye out.

Hopefully your cat is a little older than you think she is, but please keep her 100% inside and get her spayed when her kittens are 8 weeks old so she never has to go through this again.

I took her to the vet after I took her in. They said she was between 5 and 6 months old. She is fully inside and will be spayed. I also already have a rescue group that I will be working with for the kittens. They will all be dewormed, vaccinated, spayed/neutered, and chipped when they are adopted out.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is really young to be having kittens! I do hope all goes well. :)

Fairyfly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. Her age does make me nervous. Poor thing is too young to have to be dealing with babies. Apparently someone in our neighborhood found her and took her home but left her as an outside cat. Then she wondered to our house and we took her in. They replied to our Facebook notice but I asked if we could keep her since we would be able to have her inside. So I’m not sure if it was our neighborhood or the other place they picked her up from that has the cat that got her pregnant. I’m guessing it was the other place since she was so young, they probably have a cycle of babies going in around there.

Fairyfly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Still no kittens. I sure thought this afternoon she was going to go into labor. She was in her nesting box for a while and started vocalizing (only a little). Next thing I knew she was downstairs eating. I did notice today that it looks like her milk has come in. Ready for those babies to come!